Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22,159
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 04:37 AM
1

Democracy

Hi

So many posts on here about Democracy, the will of the People, the unelected House of Lords etc.

I disagree.

Democracy is the least worst option.

We are one of the oldest democracies in the World and we have learnt over the Centuries how to protect it.

We do not have Coups, or politically elected officials or Judges.

Our system is set up to protect us from that and to give each voter the same rights as any other voter, irrespective of how much money we have or how much influence.

A sewer cleaner has the same rights as a Billionaire.

We can all say Boris and or Corbyn are prats and we will not get arrested for it.

Our system has many flaws, but those flaws are also our protections.

A Coup would be a virtual impossibility here in the UK.

Far too many institutions to take control of, it is what gives us our protections.

It is deliberately inefficient for that reason.

I would not change it.
Reply With Quote
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Senior Member
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,400
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 08:04 AM
2

Re: Democracy

We have one of the newest democracies in the world. Unfortunately, majority rules and corruption is rife.
We’re a social state with a dwindling supply of taxpayers to maintain social services which in any event is dismal so we end up paying for our own basic services like health and education.

A novel idea is that only taxpayers and people with a certain level of Education gets to vote - not the entire population over the age of majority.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27,374
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 09:01 AM
3

Re: Democracy

The problem here is that since the rejection of the Social Club by the Social Folks, there is not anywhere to discuss politics anymore, it is now difficult to tell the difference between democracy and social apathy.
Reply With Quote
Lindyloo's Avatar
Lindyloo
Senior Member
Lindyloo is offline
isle of wight
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2,102
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 09:11 AM
4

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi



I would not change it.
If your definition of democracy means let's all be happy with the current state of the UK and the way in which we are NOT coping with covid - if THAT is democracy - I want none of it!
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22,159
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 09:17 AM
5

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
If your definition of democracy means let's all be happy with the current state of the UK and the way in which we are NOT coping with covid - if THAT is democracy - I want none of it!
Hi

That is not what I said.

We need to find ways of holding our Politicians to account.

We can do that without sacrificing our basic freedoms/
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 6,692
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 10:03 AM
6

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The problem here is that since the rejection of the Social Club by the Social Folks, there is not anywhere to discuss politics anymore, it is now difficult to tell the difference between democracy and social apathy.
Did you mean to say sociopathy spotty??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 27,374
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 10:08 AM
7

Re: Democracy

That condition is probably antagonised by wot I typed.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 6,692
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 10:29 AM
8

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by Minx ->
We have one of the newest democracies in the world. Unfortunately, majority rules and corruption is rife.
We’re a social state with a dwindling supply of taxpayers to maintain social services which in any event is dismal so we end up paying for our own basic services like health and education.

A novel idea is that only taxpayers and people with a certain level of Education gets to vote - not the entire population over the age of majority.
That's not a novel idea Minx !!
Nor is it democracy !!We have been there and done that. !!
The corruption here is covert !!
Your corruption is overt !!
What is the worst ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Reply With Quote
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is offline
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,856
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 11:14 AM
9

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

That is not what I said.

We need to find ways of holding our Politicians to account.

We can do that without sacrificing our basic freedoms/
We already have a way to hold our elected politicians to account.
It's called an election.
Those who disagree with the actions of an elected politician have the option to vote them out.

If your version of democracy is so ideal, perhaps you might like to explain why can we not do the same for the inffluential House of Lords politicians?
These are capable (as we keep seeing) of overturning or delaying important matters that we have asked our politicians to handle.

Why should an unelected bunch of out-of-touch privileged people have so much power?
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22,159
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-01-2021, 11:46 AM
10

Re: Democracy

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
We already have a way to hold our elected politicians to account.
It's called an election.
Those who disagree with the actions of an elected politician have the option to vote them out.

If your version of democracy is so ideal, perhaps you might like to explain why can we not do the same for the inffluential House of Lords politicians?
These are capable (as we keep seeing) of overturning or delaying important matters that we have asked our politicians to handle.

Why should an unelected bunch of out-of-touch privileged people have so much power?
Hi

They are there to hold the elected Politicians to account.

They can only hold things up, they cannot overrule Parliament.

Do not forget, we could have had Corbyn in Power.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.