Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 07:53 AM

Eye pain

I wake up most mornings with a pain behind my right eye. It's so intense that I can't open my eye. I also get it occasionally during the day. It feels like something sharp is stuck behind my eye in the socket.
The Gp referred me to my optician who told the Gp to refer me to the ophthalmologist. After 16 week's wait I saw him yesterday. He was very arrogant and dismissive, hardly listened, told me that things can't get behind your eyes and after looking in my eye and pulling my eyelid up to look only at the top part of my eye whilst I looked down, gave me more eyedrops for dry eyes.
After telling doctors for three years that there was something stuck in my foot and eventually having a piece of glass removed (that was a callous or arthritis or deformed foot according to them) I'm not convinced.
Does anyone else get this pain in their eyes? My Dad had dry eyes but, I never heard him say it was excruciatingly painful.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Re: Eye pain

Hmmm Arrogant, ignorant Consultant Opthamologist!!! - in your situation Tess darlin' I would be inclined to seek a second opinion!!! - there are any number of causes for pain behind the eye, many of them quite serious and perhaps scary, so I won't frighten you with them.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:18 AM

I have occasionally had a very sharp shooting pain behind my eye but it's soon gone so I don't think it's anything to bother about.

In your case though TessA I would seek a second opinion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:26 AM

He Tessa I have dry eyes, it is sore but not painful.
I used to have a pain in my right eye when I had migraine but I haven't had migraine since I went through the menopause.

However, I have a neighbour with a similar problem to yours, it is being treated seriously and investigated.
Tessa I wouldn't leave it, instead I would return to your doctor.
Better to make a fuss and find the problem is nothing serious that to leave it too long and find it is.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Suggest you go to a good optician , get them to look at the back of your eyes. My optician always does a thorough examination each year . Dreadful to be dismissed like this . Definitely go back to doctor
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
He Tessa I have dry eyes, it is sore but not painful.
Originally Posted by Meg ->

Better to make a fuss and find the problem is nothing serious that to leave it too long and find it is.

I'm same as Meg, Tess. Mine are playing up bad at the moment and they have given me some antibiotic drops, but its not the type of pain you are describing.
I sympathise with you about that arrogant consultant, I've had that happen to me, and it really upset me, but you must stand up for yourself, don't let him brush you off like that. Go back and insist it is taken seriously.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Suggest you go to a good optician , get them to look at the back of your eyes. My optician always does a thorough examination each year . Dreadful to be dismissed like this . Definitely go back to doctor
Good advice Susan !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Tessa go to a optician like at Tescos or Spec Savers.
I had a pain in my right eye as it was and you need to
have the pressure taken. Did this oddball do one on
your eyes? If not, he is useless.
I found out I had glaucoma in my eye and because nothing
was done for years I am now half blind in that eye.
So please try again by going to a independent optician and
see what they say about the pressure.
When I went my eye was pressure 34 when it should have
been about 16 or 17 for my age. That's what it is now
due to eye drops I use everynight.
Worth a check up and wish I could have done it earlier
but never expected what I got

Hope everything goes well for you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Good advice here and exactly what I did after going through the same as you Tessa
I just wanted to be sure it wasn't serious, its an awful and frightening pain, why it occurs I don't know
I still get it in short bursts, but at least I can relax more on that front. So do the same, go to a good optician xx
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 12:52 PM

I've been to the opticians, they even have photos of the inside of my eye so that's why I think it's something behind it. I'm going to keep on at my GP, trouble is I've been having so many other investigations for tummy trouble and joint pain etc.I feel like a hypochondriac lately!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top