Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 06:05 PM

Hugs are good for you

I didn't know, but apparently January 21st is National Hugging Day, mostly in America. I'd never heard of it.

I believe you're either 'a hugger' or you're not. I appreciate it's not for everyone.
I personally lean towards being a hugger, but of course it depends on the circumstances.

I think there are so many different types of hugs, from a quick 'tatar' one when leaving friends, to more intimate types between partners, then different again for children, as well as the horrid, leery type attempted by 'opportunists'!

What I did find interesting though, is the therapeutic affect such a simple, free, act can have on us, not only for those on the receiving end, but for the 'giver' as well, especially the pressing heart-to-heart ones.

It is proven to be able to reduce stress, loneliness, anxiety, and depression. It can even heal some illnesses too.

So until we are allowed to do this simple gesture once more, here's a nice squashy one for everyone here, and I hope it goes a little way to tide you over till things are back to normal again.

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 06:42 PM

Re: Hugs are good for you

That brought tears to my eyes, Mups!

You crushed my ribs!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 06:54 PM

That is until the cops beat you up, chuck you in a black Maria and arrest you for failing to keep social distancing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That is until the cops beat you up, chuck you in a black Maria and arrest you for failing to keep social distancing.

Trust you Judsy, yer miserable old wotsit.
You need a hug, that's your trouble.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2021, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

You crushed my ribs!

Sorry Ted, I got over-excited.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

You crushed my ribs!

Oh, come here, Tedc, and let me comfort you. That's what friends are for. Just like Mups says.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:03 PM

I always think about the elderly who are probably in need of hugs the most.

When we experience a hug, pressure receptors signal the vagus nerve, which stimulates or parasympathetic (rest, relax, digest) system. When that parasympathetic system is stimulated, neurotransmitters are released and our blood pressure drops. We really do become happier and more relaxed!

If hugs are out (living along, Covid etc.), hugging a pet, self-hugging (yep, it works), and weighted blankets can all stimulate those baroreceptors, too!
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Oh Mups.....that hug was appreciated
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:19 PM

I miss the hugs from my children and grandchildren

I suppose that day may come in the distant future ..... it better hurry up, the years are passing by!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Oh, come here, Tedc, and let me comfort you. That's what friends are for. Just like Mups says.....

Ah! That's better, RN.

I can see my GGChildren through the window.

But the little Huggers are not allowed to come in!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top