Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 03:43 AM

2020 Job options?

Most of you will know that I work on a permanent night shift and have done for over thirteen years. The working hours and the job itself gets me down but the extra night pay is essential for paying a loan off.

Towards the end of 2019 I shall be completely debt-free however, and I will be looking at options and ideas for a change of routine when I am able to return to working during the day again after so long living a nocturnal existence.

But what to do? My immediate thoughts are:

1. Stay with my present company but ask for a completely different role. I am a stock controller now so this may not be possible but it's worth looking at.
I do not have too much faith in the firm I work for as I believe they could eventually be a casualty of the internet-based suppliers taking them out of business.

2. Leave the company if possible and try to find another job.
This is easier said than done. Could I retrain for something entirely different? Would the job be secure?

Whatever I do I will stay on nights until something comes along.

My main question is: Does anyone have any ideas of a change of career? A new job?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 05:27 AM

Re: 2020 Job options?

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Most of you will know that I work on a permanent night shift and have done for over thirteen years. The working hours and the job itself gets me down but the extra night pay is essential for paying a loan off.

Towards the end of 2019 I shall be completely debt-free however, and I will be looking at options and ideas for a change of routine when I am able to return to working during the day again after so long living a nocturnal existence.

But what to do? My immediate thoughts are:

1. Stay with my present company but ask for a completely different role. I am a stock controller now so this may not be possible but it's worth looking at.
I do not have too much faith in the firm I work for as I believe they could eventually be a casualty of the internet-based suppliers taking them out of business.

2. Leave the company if possible and try to find another job.
This is easier said than done. Could I retrain for something entirely different? Would the job be secure?

Whatever I do I will stay on nights until something comes along.

My main question is: Does anyone have any ideas of a change of career? A new job?
I have absolutely no idea of what a Stock Controller does so can't advise on a change of career.

However you are in an ideal position to apply for jobs and attend interviews while you are working night shift. It might be worth asking if there are any suitable jobs in the firm you are with now but why not go for a complete break if you are not happy working for them?

There might be plenty of work in your line (I have no idea) but you have nothing to lose by looking and applying for anything that takes your fancy.

The very act of looking at job sites should give you some idea of what is out there and which skills are in demand if you fancy retraining.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 05:49 AM

Thanks Bruce.
My role as a Stock Controller has various tasks.
I am tasked with making space for new or more popular product lines, sorting out resolution issues from audited items, vendor returns of stock which is surplus or faulty and other re-warehousing work.

My previous job was as a Supllier/Movements Controller in the RAF, and before that as a truck parts counter sales person so I've always been logistics-based careers.

Although I am skilled in these lines of work I do need a change of scene but I am unsure what to do next. I am basically looking at something which will keep my salary on a par with my nights pay but working days, if you see what I mean.

I have looked briefly at work available in Hull where I live but there is nothing out there unless I am willing to do general warehouse work, which I really want to move away from.

Retraining is an option but ideally with a company who actually take me on without having to find free time now - which there is very little chance of.

What I may end up doing is to make a list of all the large companies in my area and send them my CV (which I recently updated) along with a covering letter.

As I say, I am still in employment so there is no urgent rush to find another job but I am still setting my goal to move for early 2020. Until then I'll plod along in my present job, which is at least secure for now.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Hmmm tough question but I believe Peterborough is looking for a new MP
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2019, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Hmmm tough question but I believe Peterborough is looking for a new MP
A proper job working for a living, Marmaduke. Not a lying, tax-haven dwelling, Southern shandy-drinking Parliament plebfest of a "career" lol
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 06:42 AM

One thing to bear in mind is that after so long on nights, you would most likely need a transition period to get used to working daytimes.

Your body clock will be all out of kilter with working days and would initially affect your work performance if you don't have any transition period.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 06:46 AM

I hear there's a great shortage of HGV drivers at the moment and the money is pretty impressive now...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
One thing to bear in mind is that after so long on nights, you would most likely need a transition period to get used to working daytimes.

Your body clock will be all out of kilter with working days and would initially affect your work performance if you don't have any transition period.
I compare it to going on a week's holiday, Pyxell. Similar to an "extended jet lag". It would probably take me a week to adjust, so I'll make sure I take perhaps a fortnight's break before starting a new job.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I hear there's a great shortage of HGV drivers at the moment and the money is pretty impressive now...
I thought about this Barry but one of my reasons for leaving night shifts is to see my wife a bit more. She's 10 years older than me and it's not good for her to be alone in the house especially since her cancer scare last year.
Trucking would probably involve many awkward hours and more night driving.
Thanks anyway
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 08:00 AM

Hi

One of my ex staff, made redundant, retrained as a BT Engineer.

He had no previous experience in that sort of work.

He loves it and good money to boot.

You have the skills and experience, so have you thought of Freight Forwarding?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top