Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
They already exist.
Range and recharge times are limitations but if you just need it for local trips it would probably work for you.

Another constraint not often mentioned is that, if they became mainstream, we would have to beef up the National Grid.

Would all the charging points conk out in a power cut?

What happens if there is a queue like there is at busy garages sometimes?

What are we supposed to do to kill time while a car is on charge?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true. I hated the fact that my engine switched off every time I stopped at the lights. That soon got overidden.
Oh I like that feature, I have it on my Ecoboost model. Saves fuel (and the planet from losing any more coral reefs). It's only a matter of pushing down the clutch and you're started up again
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Would all the charging points conk out in a power cut?

What happens if there is a queue like there is at busy garages sometimes?

What are we supposed to do to kill time while a car is on charge?
Well, the local Morrison's supermarket have half a dozen or so charging points alongside the disabled parking spaces so I give you one guess as to what could be done while waiting?

Mind you, in probably three or more years I have only ever seen one car on charge there!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:31 PM

If the government want us all to be driving electric cars by 2025 or whenever it is, every house in the country will need to be fitted with a charging point, which we will have to pay for.
Then it will drain our resources, the National Grid will implode and we will all go back to riding horses.
Oh, hang on...we can't. What about greenhouse gases?
Tbh we're knackered.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Oh I like that feature, I have it on my Ecoboost model. Saves fuel (and the planet from losing any more coral reefs). It's only a matter of pushing down the clutch and you're started up again
I have the same on my VW Golf 1.6 TDI Blue Motion, not easy to get used to at first but now I almost forget about it. One time recently though, I was approaching a queue of cars at the traffic lights and on seeing the lights were going to change to green, I slowed down so that feature was not used – and a BMW driver overtook me and nipped into that space in front of me, what an idiot! He obviously had never read the Highway Code, which I recall states, no overtaking at traffic lights!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:36 PM

That's true. I hated the fact that my engine switched off every time I stopped at the lights. That soon got overidden.
Indeed ..... I did the same .....

Only those drivers forced to do a daily urban crawl in the rush hour will either gain or provide benefits from utilising stop-start systems .....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:45 PM

I also wonder whether there will be different types of charge, the faster being more expensive of course. Will we still be able to pull into a 'garage' and instantly charge the car or will we have to wait three hours? All I know is that my extension cable will not reach the car park.
There already are. But your 13A socket can put out just under 4kW. And you would get less than that from the charger bearing in mind that the charger is not 100% efficient so there will be some losses.

The Nissan Leaf E would take 32 hours to charge from a domestic socket. Battery capacity is 62kWHh.
That's an average 24 hour electrical energy consumption of 46.5 kWh.
To put that in context, average household electrical energy consumption is about 13kWh a day.

The range is claimed to be up to 239 miles. That's at a steady 45mph. Increase the speed and the range drops dramatically.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suppose one good thing with driverless cars is that if there's ever an accident you can blame the car!

Perhaps we'll also be able to have a drink and the car will drive us home afterwards, while at the same time we can have a chat on our phones!
Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Unfortunately no, the driver will still have to follow the rules, by being ready to take control in the event of something happening, although by the time cars are truly driverless, someone will have invented transporters, by then..:
Er, I was being sarcastic.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Don't forget, JBR, to check that the automatic selection of right hand, versus Left hand, driving is working if you cross the channel.

Maybe Americans will also want to check that out?
Not necessary. By then, the EU will have taken us over completely and everyone will be driving on the right!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have the same on my VW Golf 1.6 TDI Blue Motion, not easy to get used to at first but now I almost forget about it. One time recently though, I was approaching a queue of cars at the traffic lights and on seeing the lights were going to change to green, I slowed down so that feature was not used – and a BMW driver overtook me and nipped into that space in front of me, what an idiot! He obviously had never read the Highway Code, which I recall states, no overtaking at traffic lights!
The rules don't apply to Beamer drivers, you should know that by now.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top