Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Re: Elizabeth Is Missing

I am looking forward to this, I read the book a few years ago and loved it, despite the dementia element.
Also am interested to see Glenda Jackson, she was such a great actress back in the days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:47 PM

I'm watching it now and she's fabulous. I guess I'm an outlier here as she's one of my favourite actresses. She's let herself age with no vanity but has natural poise and great bone structure.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Two words..... Olivia Colman.

She isn't old, or older.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:46 PM

She was brilliant! It was very moving, had me in tears at one point, when they were on the bus stop.
I couldn't quite work out the end though.
Did she witness her sister's murder?
How did the body happen to be in the friend's garden when the sister and husband hadn't bought the house and it hadn't even been built?
Did she purposely make friends with Elizabeth because she knew her sister was buried there?

Answers on a postcard please...

Confused of Somerset.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
She was brilliant! It was very moving, had me in tears at one point, when they were on the bus stop.
How did the body happen to be in the friend's garden when the sister and husband hadn't bought the house and it hadn't even been built?
Did she purposely make friends with Elizabeth because she knew her sister was buried there?

Confused of Somerset.
The mad woman who followed them around witnessed it after Maud left the house because her sister told her to go home, when her husband came home drunk. When the body was found and the police interviewed her, she recalls what the mad women had told her. She was buried in the place that was best for growing marrows.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Hard to watch a study of psychological decline, the scene in the restaurant, especially. Maud is unreliable so you can understand why her daughter struggled.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Very hard to watch particularly because the dementia situation isn’t something we can brush under the carpet these days . We are all of us vulnerable to it .
Glenda Jackson was nothing less than superb !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

Confused of Somerset.
It was a really good production and she was perfect for the role.

I think I recall that she mentioned that they let Elizabeth live there after her sister disappeared. I think they were already friends. I didn't think she knew her sister was buried there. She was trying to solve one mystery and solved another.

The hole in the plot was that despite having notes everywhere telling her everything they did not put a big note up to say that Elizabeth was in hospital after having an accident when they were gardening together. Her mind kept returning to that note about gardening with Elizabeth but you'd think if everyone knew they would write it on the mirror or something.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:41 AM

I ve recorded it so I'm not looking at comments. Going to watch it tomorrow
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 04:56 AM

I've just finished watching "Elizabeth Is Missing" after my viewing was interrupted by an attempted break-in to my property (but that's another story).

The plot was contrived and the resolution somewhat rushed but those criticisms are minor - the performances, especially Glenda's, were superb, the period settings were thankfully minimal (I'm a stickler for accuracy) and the pace was just right - I never blinked once (well, apart from when my bins were used as a springboard and my security light came on ..... )

If Glenda Jackson doesn't get another BAFTA award to end her career then I'll be very surpised .....

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top