Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Super Moist Butter Cake.

Afternoon all. Just finished making this cake, it's in the oven right now and hopefully will be our teatime treat today. Must admit, it smells divine, but my old arm is aching a bit as there was some gentle folding to do (I'm used to my mixer doing all the donkey work with my all-in-one method of cake making,) but must agree that it was well worth it as it was so light when I was pouring the mixture into my small roasting pan.

I have included the video so you have a step-by-step guide as to how to make this cake. I'm really looking forward to cutting myself a slice later.

Enjoy this one if you decide to make it.

Super Moist Butter Cake.

INGREDIENTS NEEDED

1 large mixing bowl
1 bowl for the flour and baking powder
1 electric whisk
1 plastic spatula for folding ingredients in
1 x baking pan or large cake tin

1.1/2 cups of Self-Raising Flour
1 x teaspoon of Baking Powder
5 x Eggs (room temperature)
250g Butter (room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence or Extract
50ml of milk

METHOD

Sieve the flour and baking powder together in a bowl and put it aside for later.

Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat with your electric mixer for approx 1 minute. Add the caster sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is very pale and fluffy.

Now add the eggs one at a time, beating well with your whisk each time until all eggs have been added.

Add the 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the mixture and stir in.

Add the teaspoon of vanilla essence or extract, stir in.

Now add the flour/baking powder in 3 separate batches, folding it in gently with your spatula each time until well combined.

Add the 50ml of milk in two lots, folding it in each time with your spatula until well combined.

Pour the mixture into your greased baking pan or tin. Spread out the mixture and give the pan/tin a little tap to level it out.

Place in your preheated oven at 180/350/160Fan/Gas 4 for about 45 minutes. (Ovens vary so check with a toothpick or skewer after 30 minutes. if it comes out clean, your cake is done.

Scrape around the edges of the cake with a knife just to loosen it and turn it out immediately onto a wire rack to cool. ENJOY!

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Re: Super Moist Butter Cake.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Afternoon all. Just finished making this cake, it's in the oven right now and hopefully will be our teatime treat today. Must admit, it smells divine, but my old arm is aching a bit as there was some gentle folding to do (I'm used to my mixer doing all the donkey work with my all-in-one method of cake making,) but must agree that it was well worth it as it was so light when I was pouring the mixture into my small roasting pan.

I have included the video so you have a step-by-step guide as to how to make this cake. I'm really looking forward to cutting myself a slice later.

Enjoy this one if you decide to make it.

Super Moist Butter Cake.

INGREDIENTS NEEDED

1 large mixing bowl
1 bowl for the flour and baking powder
1 electric whisk
1 plastic spatula for folding ingredients in
1 x baking pan or large cake tin

1.1/2 cups of Self-Raising Flour
1 x teaspoon of Baking Powder
5 x Eggs (room temperature)
250g Butter (room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence or Extract
50ml of milk

METHOD

Sieve the flour and baking powder together in a bowl and put it aside for later.

Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat with your electric mixer for approx 1 minute. Add the caster sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is very pale and fluffy.

Now add the eggs one at a time, beating well with your whisk each time until all eggs have been added.

Add the 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the mixture and stir in.

Add the teaspoon of vanilla essence or extract, stir in.

Now add the flour/baking powder in 3 separate batches, folding it in gently with your spatula each time until well combined.

Add the 50ml of milk in two lots, folding it in each time with your spatula until well combined.

Pour the mixture into your greased baking pan or tin. Spread out the mixture and give the pan/tin a little tap to level it out.

Place in your preheated oven at 180/350/160Fan/Gas 4 for about 45 minutes. (Ovens vary so check with a toothpick or skewer after 30 minutes. if it comes out clean, your cake is done.

Scrape around the edges of the cake with a knife just to loosen it and turn it out immediately onto a wire rack to cool. ENJOY!

[IMG]
[/IMG]

A couple of points darlin' - if you line the cake tin with foil before pouring the mixture in, you might find it comes out easier and it also save on the washing up of the cake tin too. Using foil might also save you needing to trim it as well, thus not wasting the edges you trimmed.

Once served on the plate, add another smear of butter to one side of it too !!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 06:44 PM

mmm sounds lovely, any left for me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Your cake sounds very nice SP, I might try that for Mr Mags as he prefers plain cake.

Thanks!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A couple of points darlin' - if you line the cake tin with foil before pouring the mixture in, you might find it comes out easier and it also save on the washing up of the cake tin too. Using foil might also save you needing to trim it as well, thus not wasting the edges you trimmed.

Once served on the plate, add another smear of butter to one side of it too !!!
Hi Joe, thanks for the tips. I usually line my baking dish/cake tin with greaseproof paper after greasing it, but It didn't have it on this recipe, which I followed to a tee. My cake was actually ready after 40 minutes. I did trim the sides but I only had to take off a sliver each time so there was hardly any waste .
I have had a slice this afternoon with my cup of tea. and smiled when I read what you typed about spreading more butter on it. I have a dreadful habit of spreading Kerrygold butter onto any plain cake that I make. It's sinful but my goodness, it tastes divine!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Your cake sounds very nice SP, I might try that for Mr Mags as he prefers plain cake.

Thanks!
Your welcome Mags. Mine is already cut into slices and in the cake tin for the week for my sweet-toothed HWMO.
Hope Mr Mags enjoys this cake if you decide to make it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
mmm sounds lovely, any left for me.
lol SJ, My exact words when I saw the recipe. Mmmm, that looks lovely!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top