Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: His Dark Materials

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The main plot, if you can call it that is about parallel worlds, Lyra's uncle travels to find them, but she is the one going to travel & find them eventually. The Daemons are the companion souls of every person on Lyra's world. The plots are very complicated.

This might help....

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/hisda...rials/summary/
See, I didn't even know that and that sounds crucial to the plot. Perhaps they didn't tell us yet.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I love Sci-Fi, not so much fantasy (although I do like Lord of the Rings). I find that the film genres are crossing over too much these days.

I am open minded to these stories but generally find that by the end the episode, I really couldn't care less what happened. Game of Thrones was the same for me. I watched two whole series and was none the wiser. Maybe I am just too old for this stuff?
I couldn't get into GOT either, though I did watch several. I usually love Sci-fi. Harry Potter had me riveted as did The Hobbit & LOTR.

Do look at my link, it might help.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I couldn't get into GOT either, though I did watch several. I usually love Sci-fi. Harry Potter had me riveted as did The Hobbit & LOTR.

Do look at my link, it might help.
I will, thanks Tiff.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Yes watched this after having read the trilogy some years ago.

In the UK the books are:

Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

Elsewhere the first book was called The Golden Compass and that was also the name of the feature length film made a few years back.

I thought the first episode yesterday was quite good, true to the books and it's clear come money has been pumped into this series.

It took a while to get going TBH but I suspect it will ramp up.

The books are good and I'm wondering if the series will go as far as the 2nd and 3rd books.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Episode 3 and I'm still not into it! I usually like weird stuff but this is just too confusing.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:56 PM

I think the producers and script writers assume we have all read the book or seen the film
Don’t understand it at all, are they supposed to be a society without electricity yet tonight people are using computers...confused dot com
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Thanks for reminding me Tessa! Just pressed the green button in time.

I haven't read the books so am really enjoying the TV drama. But I do understand how you feel if it's not true to the story.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 10:08 PM

So far they seem to be sticking to the book, what I remember of it anyway, not read it for a while.
It goes into different parallel worlds Rehab, from Lyra's world to ours.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top