Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Re: The war of the Worlds

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've been looking forward to it for so long, I hope it's true to the book. Looks good in the trailer!
I'm hoping that too but I don't remember a female part in the book tbh. Mind you, I read it a long long time ago.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 10:17 PM

I listen to Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds' once in a while. Great music. Richard Burton's story telling is good too.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I listen to Jeff Wayne's 'The War Of The Worlds' once in a while. Great music. Richard Burton's story telling is good too.
I love that CD, it was the last thing my late OH listened to before he was admitted to hospital. We had Forever Autumn at his funeral.

I am not watching the new WOTW tonight, but I might watch it on i player.
Someone please tell me if it's worth watching?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I love that CD, it was the last thing my late OH listened to before he was admitted to hospital. We had Forever Autumn at his funeral.
I'm sad to read that Tiffany. A super choice of music.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Fanning was great in the part but I have never been a Cruise fan. I just think you can see him acting.
... and he looks like a Jack Russell

Well, I certainly enjoyed the first episode, a bit confused about the woman and little boy that turned out to be the same woman.
I didn't think the "war" lasted that long, but I could be confusing the book with Jeff Wayne's version. Its been years since I read the book.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-11-2019, 11:18 PM

I thought tonight's episode was good. I'm not sure about the love interest part that been woven into the story but good nonetheless.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 12:43 AM

Watched first episode tonight

Really not overly impressed.

The opening irritated me greatly with the narration of one of the most famous opening speeches. It was all changed around purely for the sake of change. Just didn't work for me. H G Well's work was just fine, no need to have messed with the "No-one would have believed" speech.

Then as soon as that speech ended, when they say

"and slowly but surely they drew their plans against us"

I was just desperate to hear Jeff Waynes opening bars,

Dum, dah Dum Dum

But no, nothing, just an empty void.

From there is just tottered on TBH greatly changing the story again for the sake of trying to be different.

What was the point of the initial spherical object?

Wells described the objects as cylinders.

It's a 3 part drama and it showed imho. Everything is being rushed through, we went from one alien craft landing to the devastation of the city in a few minutes.

Overall disappointed. The book is generations better and more emotive. A story of dark desperation and depression as the protagonist comes to terms with the devastation around him. I highly recommend people read the book if they have never done so. It can be downloaded free for Kindles and other eReaders from various sites.

Comparing this to the new series "His Dark Materials", the Philip Pullman Northern Lights story is like chalk and cheese.

HDM is excellently produced and has strong visuals and special effects and a very well presented alternative word.

War Of The Worlds comes up wanting for me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 05:03 AM

I'll watch it this week now that I've finished Lie To Me, Guilt and Gold Digger.

Not too keen on sci-fi and the Tom Cruise movie was crap but this is a classic story nonetheless. For me though, no adaptation can beat Jeff Wayne's 1978 musical version.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
... and he looks like a Jack Russell

Well, I certainly enjoyed the first episode, a bit confused about the woman and little boy that turned out to be the same woman.
I didn't think the "war" lasted that long, but I could be confusing the book with Jeff Wayne's version. Its been years since I read the book.
Spolier!! Don't tell us what happened, TessA, I haven't seen it yet!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 06:56 AM

Hi

I must be easily pleased, I loved it.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top