Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Central Heating Flushing?

Have not had a flush for quite some years ().

Looking at the quotes, on line, the prices vary from, about 350 pounds up to 800 or so (British Smash).

Any recommendations for the Berkshire area?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Re: Central Heating Flushing?

Hi Ted I had a chemical flush done when new boiler was fitted last year . What a difference it makes the rads are hotter and I'm sure my heating bill was less . I dont know what a chemical flush is though but it must have been 20 yrs of muck in the radiators
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi Ted I had a chemical flush done when new boiler was fitted last year . What a difference it makes the rads are hotter and I'm sure my heating bill was less . I dont know what a chemical flush is though but it must have been 20 yrs of muck in the radiators
I had a quick look at that,on line, Susan, but it looks a bit as If I could achieve the same result by simply buying some flushing fluid and bunging it into the system.

Last time i had a full flush was about 10 years ago and the amount of muck which came out was incredible.

Sadly the man who drove over, from Bristol, is not doing it any more.

Hopefully someone will name a name for having it done using a local Bracknell Source.

A new boiler would be an option but I'm a bit off spending on that after only 8 years.

Thanks for replying.

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Some years' back my central heating system just was not warming the house, radiators were cold in places, mostly in the middle. British Gas did my Gold Star service / repair contract so I contacted them. Sure enough it was reckoned to be sludge in the radiators which could be sorted out by a chemical flush. Problem being that was excused in the T&Cs and the price they wanted was well in excess of other heating companies so I had it done by another company.

The sludge that came out was unbelievable. The final result was amazing, all radiators were OK and getting hotter than they ever had. The cost in those days was a £325 I recall but it was around 15 years' ago now.

I was advised the way to avoid this is to use an inhibitor but be aware that it only lasts two to three years I think it was, then it needs replacing. From memory my present heating engineer who installed a complete new system said inhibitor costs about £30, so well worth doing as advised.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

22-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Some years' back my central heating system just was not warming the house, radiators were cold in places, mostly in the middle. British Gas did my Gold Star service / repair contract so I contacted them. Sure enough it was reckoned to be sludge in the radiators which could be sorted out by a chemical flush. Problem being that was excused in the T&Cs and the price they wanted was well in excess of other heating companies so I had it done by another company.

The sludge that came out was unbelievable. The final result was amazing, all radiators were OK and getting hotter than they ever had. The cost in those days was a £325 I recall but it was around 15 years' ago now.

I was advised the way to avoid this is to use an inhibitor but be aware that it only lasts two to three years I think it was, then it needs replacing. From memory my present heating engineer who installed a complete new system said inhibitor costs about £30, so well worth doing as advised.
Thanks for that Baz.

I won't be using BG after they had 3 tries to figure out why I had hot water but no heating. That was about 3 years ago.

That's the basic test question for how heating works - so I cancelled my contract.

They were asking 7 or 8 hundred pounds, way back then, and almost refusing to service the boiler unless it was done!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Hi

You can hire the machine and do it yourself.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

22-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You can hire the machine and do it yourself.
Thanks for that.

I'll have a look see if there are any companies around here who might hire out.

caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Where's gasman or Dextrous they'd advise on the way forward.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Flushing your central heating system is usually a part of the warranty requirement when having a new boiler fitted, or every 5 or 6 years, however, mine has never been flushed since we had a new boiler 10 years ago, I removed a radiator a couple of years ago for decoration of our bathroom, and there wasn’t much gunk that came out, and when the boiler was repaired and serviced earlier this year, he said that the filter didn’t look particularly dirty, I did ask him to put more inhibitor in, as I was constantly topping up the system due to the fault with the boiler, so I would be inclined to contact the people who put in your boiler, if poss, or, if you have a local plumbers merchant nearby, you could pop in and ask them if they can recommend anyone..... ( mine is only a small system so you might have a larger house with more, rads so yours could be in need of a flush..)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

23-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Flushing your central heating system is usually a part of the warranty requirement when having a new boiler fitted, or every 5 or 6 years, however, mine has never been flushed since we had a new boiler 10 years ago, I removed a radiator a couple of years ago for decoration of our bathroom, and there wasn’t much gunk that came out, and when the boiler was repaired and serviced earlier this year, he said that the filter didn’t look particularly dirty, I did ask him to put more inhibitor in, as I was constantly topping up the system due to the fault with the boiler, so I would be inclined to contact the people who put in your boiler, if poss, or, if you have a local plumbers merchant nearby, you could pop in and ask them if they can recommend anyone..... ( mine is only a small system so you might have a larger house with more, rads so yours could be in need of a flush..)
Thanks for your reply.

I have 14 radiators here and have had to keep turning the thermostat, which is on the boiler, down to stop kettling.

Had a look at hiring a machine, as a do it myself step, but the cost of hiring and the work involved doesn't make much of a saving.

Am getting some quotes, today, for a flushing session..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top