Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:48 AM

Editing Posts Or Living With Your Errors?

When it comes to the posts l post on here, l cannot bear to see l’ve made a spelling mistake, a word l’ve missed out or how it reads.
The trouble is, it’s only after, l have posted the post that l see my errors.

I wish, l wasn’t such a perfectionist or so pernickety but l can’t settle, until I have corrected or adjusted it!

Are you the same when you post something or can you just let it go and live with it?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:07 AM

Re: Editing Posts Or Living With Your Errors?

Yes, I am exactly the same. Errors drive me round the twist and spell checkers are 'the enemy'.
Don't even get me started on punctuation or incorrect use of the ubiquitous apostrophe!

I blame it all on a working life spent in the printing, publishing and advertising industry. Errors are simply not allowed, end of story so it's a very difficult habit to break, in fact that's impossible to do.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:31 AM

Depends what mood I'm in .... sometimes I just think oh heck, stuff it, who cares.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:43 AM

I'm always having to edit,my spilling is atroshus.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 02:23 AM

Yep. Me same. Can't stand bad grammar. Can't stand bad spelling. I have to hold my tongue (fingers on keyboard) to not comment and suggest corrections because it was pointed out to me very vigorously that it is is bad manners to do this here. Maybe it was here or somewhere else but one time when I suggested respectfully that when you're making a preference between two things, you say .."This one is the better of the two". You only say one is the best when there are three or more. The response was something like.."An Australian correcting an Englishman (yes it was a man) on the Queens' English!?..How dare you!"..I ad a laff at that one He was probably joking..I hope!..But I've had other comments here about not correcting spelling that were totally not in jest. So now I keep my mouth shut.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:09 AM

I'll quite often notice grammar or spelling mistakes after posting and quickly dive back in and edit them, especially if posting in the Technology forum where I hope and strive to be precise and factual.

I'll usually make minor rectifications without saying anything but if something is substantially altered, I'll often highlight that there has been an edit and say what it is.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'll quite often notice grammar or spelling mistakes after posting and quickly dive back in and edit them, especially if posting in the Technology forum where I hope and strive to be precise and factual.

I'll usually make minor rectifications without saying anything but if something is substantially altered, I'll often highlight that there has been an edit and say what it is.
Me too .....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:30 AM

I suppose I am a bit persnickety about it. Maybe that comes from being an engineer. Precise language can be critical particularly when it comes to safety matters.

A little tail........he said watching that dog.........

When I went to secondary school we had to write an essay to be handed in on Monday morning. If you had three or more spelling errors you got the belt. I did. Once. My spelling improved at a stroke.

Of course that wouldn't be be aloud now...........
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Depends what mood I'm in .... sometimes I just think oh heck, stuff it, who cares.

Senior moments can be annoyin
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:37 AM

I dunno about all this as allmost every day l see mistakes in the
TV captions ? Mostly in news programmes(is that correct ?)
So why should l bother?
Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top