Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Cruel dog owner

Yesterday morning I went to pick up my Dad to take him shopping and as I was waiting for him to come out of the house to the car I saw a man walking an Alsation dog.

He walked on past my car and up the road and as I watched him I noticed him yank the dog back by the lead so fiercely as the dog was pulling a bit. He did it numerous times and by this time I was furious and so upset at seeing him being cruel to this poor dog. The way he was yanking that poor dog was with such force it must have been choking the dog. I was willing my dad to come out and get in the car as I planned on pulling up beside the man and getting out of my car and telling him I had filmed him being cruel and that I was going to report him to the RSPCA. I didn't film it really but I wish I had now as by the time my dad finally came out the bloke was well on his way.

I drove up where he had walked but by now I had lost him and couldn't find him.

My Dad played pop with me when I told him what I had planned on doing and he said 'don't ever do that, you could end up being hurt'

I know it would have been a silly thing to do but I really and truly was so upset and I want that dog taken away from that man. It's still playing on my mind today and when I told my husband last night about it I burst out crying out of sheer upset for the dog and also sheer frustration that I hadn't done anything to help the poor dog.

How can anyone be cruel to defenceless animals.

If I ever see that man and his dog again I'm not sure I will be able to keep my mouth shut. Never have I felt so angry as I did yesterday morning!!

Not sure why I'm telling you all this but it's helped me get my frustration out by typing furiously on here.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Re: Cruel dog owner

LQ I feel for you and that poor dog .
I am like this and I have to say it has got me into trouble and heart ache .
You are not wrong and your Dads not wrong either he is afraid for you and with good reason .
At bes you would have got a mouthful of abuse at worst physical violence .
Cruel cowardly men are cruel to humans too especially women
So many dogs especially are at the mercy of cruel ignorant people .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 09:56 PM

Also, from another angle Queenie, be careful as this breed is notoriously known for being very protective. Guarding comes naturally to them, like a second nature.
Bearing this in mind, be alert to how you might approach this bloke should you see him again, as his dog may not allow you to get too close, especially if you are confrontational to his owner.
Mine would have guarded with me with their life, honestly.

Take notice of more than just the bloke's attitude.
For example -

Did the dog look in poor bodily condition?
Did it look afraid of the man?
Was it on a choke chain, or muzzled or a leather collar?
Was it a puppy or mature dog?

I really do understand how you felt, I'd have felt just the same, but don't let your emotions over rule your own safety. x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Also, from another angle Queenie, be careful as this breed is notoriously known for being very protective. Guarding comes naturally to them, like a second nature.
Bearing this in mind, be alert to how you might approach this bloke should you see him again, as his dog may not allow you to get too close, especially if you are confrontational to his owner.
Mine would have guarded with me with their life, honestly.

Take notice of more than just the bloke's attitude.
For example -

Did the dog look in poor bodily condition?
Did it look afraid of the man?
Was it on a choke chain, or muzzled or a leather collar?
Was it a puppy or mature dog?

I really do understand how you felt, I'd have felt just the same, but don't let your emotions over rule your own safety. x
I know it would be silly Mupsy, I was just so, so cross and upset. I wasn't close enough to him to see whether it was choke chain or normal collar. It was a mature dog. I don't recall it being skinny as I was too busy watching open mouthed how he yanked that poor dog.
I feel so helpless, it broke my heart. I'm filling up now as I think about it again knowing it has a horrible life with that vile man
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I know it would be silly Mupsy, I was just so, so cross and upset. I wasn't close enough to him to see whether it was choke chain or normal collar. It was a mature dog. I don't recall it being skinny as I was too busy watching open mouthed how he yanked that poor dog.
I feel so helpless, it broke my heart. I'm filling up now as I think about it again knowing it has a horrible life with that vile man

Course you were, I can understand that. I would have been furious too, and probably shouted something out the car window at him, maybe even took a photo - that might have made him think about his behaviour if he thought you had taken his picture.

Try not to upset yourself now though. It has passed and there is nothing you can do, except be better prepared if you see him next time.

Maybe your Dad knows who it is, if the bloke lives nearby?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 11:22 PM

It's difficult.If they are that type of oaf,if you said anything to anger them they might take it out on the dog.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 02:17 AM

I try to approach everything like this with balance and fairness. I think reason always needs to displace brute force in every situation. But I am also an incurable dog lover. And in this case I would like to put a collar and lead on this bastard and jerk him around the park a few times - preferably tied to the back of an SUV. Then..I would lose my temper. On a more constructive note, I would never have anything other than a body harness with the lead attachment at the top just past the dog's shoulders. This leaves their neck free and comfortable and also stops them pulling without hurting them. My dog loves it and sometimes doesn't want us to take it off when we get home.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Lion Queen

You know we have a dog and I can understand your anger. I would never treat ours that way. No need.

I think your dad gave you good advice.
May I add my tuppence worth?
If you got or get pictures, send them with details, location etc. to the RSPCA.
For your own safety, don't get personally involved.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top