Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 10:53 AM

The great rubbish rip-off revealed

My local rubbish tip has been charging for some time now, I hate to think how much I have had to fork out over the past few years, despite already paying for rubbish removal in our council taxes.

Someone has suddenly realised that the sharp rise in fly-tipping is directly linked to the charges imposed at recycling/rubbish centres.

Really? That took a while to work out. Anyway, it looks as though the charges could be withdrawn.... hopefully.

I'm sure my local tip is a privately owned company but there are plans to make rubbish collection the council's own responsibility as it used to be.

A bit annoying though that my Council isn't listed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bbish-tax.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Re: The great rubbish rip-off revealed

I've never paid at our tip Dongle?

I think people with vans emptying work materials have to, but ordinary household stuff is free to dispose of.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never paid at our tip Dongle?

I think people with vans emptying work materials have to, but ordinary household stuff is free to dispose of. Maybe that's because it is owned by the council though.
Same here Mups
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 11:03 AM

The councils are just creating more problems by charging, fly tipping is a problem already, they never learn. Better to encourage people to dispose of rubbish safely, a charge is obviously going to lead to illegal dumping.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My local rubbish tip has been charging for some time now, I hate to think how much I have had to fork out over the past few years, despite already paying for rubbish removal in our council taxes.

Someone has suddenly realised that the sharp rise in fly-tipping is directly linked to the charges imposed at recycling/rubbish centres.

Really? That took a while to work out. Anyway, it looks as though the charges could be withdrawn.... hopefully.

I'm sure my local tip is a privately owned company but there are plans to make rubbish collection the council's own responsibility as it used to be.

A bit annoying though that my Council isn't listed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bbish-tax.html
Hi

You can blame the Tory Government for this one.

Councils get fined for sending too much to landfill.

Councils are legally obliged to remove and dispose of Household Waste.

The definition of Household Waste was changed to exclude garden waste and DIY waste which was previously included.

Government were told that it would just cuse fly tipping and it would be cheaper to collect it.

They ignored the advice.

The biggest companies involved in refuse collection and disposal here in the UK are French.

They make large profits from it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You can blame the Tory Government for this one.

Councils get fined for sending too much to landfill.

Councils are legally obliged to remove and dispose of Household Waste.

The definition of Household Waste was changed to exclude garden waste and DIY waste which was previously included.

Government were told that it would just cuse fly tipping and it would be cheaper to collect it.

They ignored the advice.

The biggest companies involved in refuse collection and disposal here in the UK are French.

They make large profits from it.
Yes, I believe our company is French owned. When I was re-doing my bathroom, I tried to dispose of a length of waste pipe about a foot long but they demanded three pounds. I took it home and put it in with the household waste.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top