Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Re: Washing Machine Warning.

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Think they’re made by AEG
Well, I'm happy with that. They obviously get some things right! They got the hob right too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Top loaders are virtually unknown in the UK. Utility rooms are less common and most people have their washing machines under a counter top.
Never thought of that, you can get a variety of both here but I don't know which is more popular but I prefer top loaders.

Email (which later became Electrolux) used to make white goods in Orange (? ) until 2016 when all production went to Asia.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Ray is correct in what he says. I’m on the lookout for a machine but it would have to be an under counter one. Not all properties have space for a utility area. My dilemma now is, what make to go for? I don’t know the aperture dimensions of the house I’m buying so suppose I ought to go for the smaller (under 60cm) size, just in case. I had wanted a faster spin, but do I have room for one that takes 9kg load? I do want one that leaves a lower volume of water after the spin, as I have nowhere to fit a tumble dryer, which of course I use when I visit the launderette.

Tried going through the Curry’s list last night but gave up.

When I first moved into my flat, nearly 26 years ago, all machines installed were Candy, and I do believe there were safety issues with the brand back then. I don’t have much confidence with Beko. Did have an Indesit recently but the timer progs increased during usage, which annoyed and confused me in equal measures. A half hour programme went on to almost hour and a half.

I do want one that does have a quick wash. Now with these safety recalls I am more confused than ever. Do I wait???
Fink-Nottle
New Member!
London
Fink-Nottle is male 

19-12-2019, 12:32 PM

We've got a Hotpoint and after checking it doesn't appear to be on the list for a recall. The problem I'm having is that I've read other stories that even machines not on the list or older than 2018 have caught fire, so my confidence in this machine is not good. I'm tempted to buy a new one, probably a Bosch in the sales after Christmas. Otherwise it means we have to unplug the dam thing every time we leave the house or go to bed. What a pain and what a waste.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fink-Nottle ->
We've got a Hotpoint and after checking it doesn't appear to be on the list for a recall. The problem I'm having is that I've read other stories that even machines not on the list or older than 2018 have caught fire, so my confidence in this machine is not good. I'm tempted to buy a new one, probably a Bosch in the sales after Christmas. Otherwise it means we have to unplug the dam thing every time we leave the house or go to bed. What a pain and what a waste.
have you a link to that FN I have not seen that anywhere
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:58 PM

How many washing machines are there in the UK? How many washing machine fires are there?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How many washing machines are there in the UK? How many washing machine fires are there?
Not many Bruce, but it's a good way to bolster up a flagging market......
Fink-Nottle
New Member!
London
Fink-Nottle is male 

19-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
have you a link to that FN I have not seen that anywhere
Hello Wishbone

My apologies I did get that quote wrong, I should have said certain models up to 2018 and not after. That quite surprised me because our machine was bought last year but isn't on the list. The most interesting comment I've heard and I don't have a link was a solicitor who's acting for over 500 victims of Hotpoint fire related claims. He was sitting next to a lady who had had a fire from one now listed, then she was given a replacement and that had also caught fire! and that wasn't on the list. I think it was a BBC news item in the morning, sitting on the sofa. Anyway, I'm afraid I've lost trust in the company and I'm just not going to take their word for it.

Theres an interesting bit about the door locks on this forum.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1845756&i=0
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 05:19 PM

I don't blame you not taking their word for it Fink, we'll need a new one in the new year and this time it'll be a Bosch.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top