Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Re: Kneecap problem

Alicat, I have osteoporosis and take calcium with vitamin D and a once weekly tablet all supposed to help prevent further damage. Exercising to build up your muscles to support your bones will help so much. But ....... have a jolly good christmas first, then start next year?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Hi dandysmom, the doctor gave me a sheet of exercises to do, haven't done them though. I am a very obese person dandysmom, losing weight will definitely help. I will have a good old bash at it next year.
Yes, exercises are good for bone health, but I'm a bit surprised nothing was said about calcium and vitamin D supplements too .... I'd ask the next time you see her/him.

As far as taking off weight, at one point in my 30s I weighed 180+ pounds (am only 5'1"!); got it down to 130 and have stayed at about that for many years; last bone density test I had bones were fine.

I do have osteoarthritisthough, but that's a different story!

Anyway, enjoy the holidays, Merry Christmas!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Alicat, don't let them blame weight for it, I am unfortunately very underweight at 5 st 12 lbs (82 lbs) at height 5 ft and that gets the blame for anything and everything.
I am wondering if perhaps maybe you have osteoarthritis like DM had? osteoporosis is painless unless you break a bone of course!
Nothing's ever straight forward is it?
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Thanks for your replies, I will keep in mind all that you've all said. I just want to get this year over with.
Caroann
UK
Caroann is female  Caroann has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 09:28 PM

I am waiting for key Hole Surgery on my knee,cartilage problem.
Day surgery, and put under alicat...Hope all turns out ok for you,take care..
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 10:48 PM

I had that op Annie but had to eventually have to have a half knee replacement called an Oxford had the op on November the 4th and the knee is doing really well no pain at night it's bliss
Caroann
UK
Caroann is female  Caroann has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Hi jj'sgirl,pleased your knee is doing well...how long after the knee key hole op did you have to have the half knee replacement ?
Is it worth having the cartilage done now,or do you reckon I should wait till I need a knee replacement...Consultant said I would eventually need a whole replacement as I have Osteoarthritis in both knees as well as hands and feet.....
I also have Fibromyalgia...
Nice to chat to you....
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 10:12 PM

I had the key hole op in October 2009 and then the half knee replacement November last year the key hole surgery didn't work for me in fact it made my knee worse but it may work for you everyone is different..

I have Arthritis in my back and had 3 lots of cortisone injections which didn't work but since I gave up work it has eased
Caroann
UK

24-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your post above...I have got to make my mind up by tomorrow, Tuesday,as doctor I will be seeing wants to know if I want to be referred again for op,as had to cancel last one due to being ill.I must admit to being frightened to have it just yet as I can get about and can walk in town for about 100yds then have to sit down.I know you can't advice me really,but just thought I would ask....
Thanks again..
jj'sgirl
Kent UK

24-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Thats OK.. good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top