Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 03:07 AM

Re: Bluebells!

That must have been lovely. Daffodils will be blooming here in a couple of weeks. They are one of my favorite flowers because they remind me of spring. Right now, everything is covered with snow and ice.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Well folks it finally happened! As you can see from my profile piccie, the beautiful Bluebells are here in all their glory. It makes my three walks with my wee dog all the more enjoyable. Even she seems to enjoy romping through them. I think she can sense that summer is just around the corner..hopefully.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 02:31 PM

lots of them in my local park, lovely!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

I didn't know until last week, that there are our native English Bluebells and Spanish Bluebells. The English ones are a deeper, richer blue with the tip of the stem bending over, and the Spanish interlopers are a lighter shade of blue and very upright. Then apparently, the Spanish ones "breed" with our English ones and make hybrids.
Upon learning this bit of information, I went outside and had a look at mine in the garden and discovered I have Spanish ones (and some white ones too).
Do you know which yours are?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Hi Mups. The Spanish ones are quite a bit larger with thicker strappy leaves and as you say much taller. I have both in my garden and I have to control the larger ones by removing a few bulbs now and then. They can get a bit thuggish and once the flowers go over the leaves get very messy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 10:52 PM

Hi Ez. I know what you mean, I had the problem in my previous garden of them taking over. They were coming up all over the place.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Well it's happened! Bluebells to Brambles! The Brambles have certainly taken over.. waist high now over a very wide area. I take my cutters with me in the mornings to uncover the footpaths. So many of them in flower so at least I can say it will be a good year for Apple & Blackberry Pies and Crumbles and the like.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Well it's happened! Bluebells to Brambles! The Brambles have certainly taken over.. waist high now over a very wide area. I take my cutters with me in the mornings to uncover the footpaths. So many of them in flower so at least I can say it will be a good year for Apple & Blackberry Pies and Crumbles and the like.

Or even Blackberry Gin!!!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 08:28 AM

I opened this thread hoping to see bluebell pictures.
Now I want to try blackberry gin!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
I opened this thread hoping to see bluebell pictures.
Now I want to try blackberry gin!

Very simple to make Jackie darlin' - you'll need a large Kilner jar with a sealable lid, a very cheap bottle of Gin, 4 - 5 lb Blackberries, 1 Kilo bag of Sugar.

Once picked, thoroughly wash blackberries. Place in Kilner jar, add sugar and pour in as much of the Gin as will fit in the Kilner jar to fill it to within 1/4 inch of the top. With the handle of a wooden spoon, gently stir the sugar and keep doing this repeatedly for the next few days until the sugar has dissolved. Place lid firmly on kilner jar and store away in a cool dark place for approx 3 months. NB Blackberry gin makes a good 'Sauce' over Icecream and thickens gravy beautifully.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top