Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Use wooden, rather than metal spoons & spatulas

...unless you want chromium in your diet

I know it may be obvious, but the number of people I see using metal spoons to stir food in metal pans is frighting - metal on metal with scratch, and those bits go into your food.

The exception would be cast iron on cast iron, as a bit of iron is actually beneficial (tho I still probably wouldn't recommend it - as you can never be sure if the iron used is pure or mixed).

Some wood actually has antiseptic properties, too.

I am not fussed on plastic or silicone - as some leach harmful toxins at high temperatures.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 12:12 PM

Re: Use wooden, rather than metal spoons & spatulas

Just reading about metal spoons in metal pans made my teeth go funny.

We use wooden for stirring - made by our children in woodwork class many years ago.
(our daughter was the only girl in class - tomboy) I digress.

The plastic or silicone, I thought was safe, so I'll watch out and make sure we don't use them at high temperatures.

Thanks Azz
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 12:28 PM

I always use wooden spatulas and have a container full some about 30 years old
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

19-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Conflicting ideas here because has a retired cook we where always made a where that the wood are porous an not has hygienic, has we think... I use the silicone ..an wouldn't use the metal spoons in the non stick pans anyway

Metal spoons best for creaming methods....unless you use a mixer lol
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Itzliz ->
Conflicting ideas here because has a retired cook we where always made a where that the wood are porous an not has hygienic, has we think... I use the silicone ..an wouldn't use the metal spoons in the non stick pans anyway

Metal spoons best for creaming methods....unless you use a mixer lol
I think the EU and UK outlawed wooden cutting surfaces for commercial kitchen units - I'm not sure why tbh.

In a study conducted at the University of Wisconsin (also by Dr. Cliver) they found wooden boards consistently outperformed the plastic:

The scientists found that three minutes after contaminating a board that 99.9 percent of the bacteria on wooden boards had died, while none of the bacteria died on plastic. Bacterial numbers actually increased on plastic cutting boards held overnight at room temperature, but the scientists could not recover any bacteria from wooden boards treated the same way.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 10:04 AM

I must admit I have never thought of it before but I always use wooden spoons to stir the food in what ever pans I am using.

I am the same as you Meg some of the spoons I have had for a lot of years.

The thought of a metal spoon in a metal pan sets my teeth on edge as well Janela.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Hear, hear. They are always telling us that plastic cutting boards have more germs than a toilet seat so I always chop food on my wooden toilet seat.
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

20-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Thats another topic Bruce lol....
At a friends house an she has one a them plastic coated foam toilet seats {YUK}.. fancy fishes on...omg worse for wear might i add.. an declined the seat for sure. Can you imagine what was lurking..in that seat.....Plastic toilet seats ladies an gents .....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 05:16 PM

The gaol in Utrecht was known as 'The Wooden spoon hotel' because the prisoners used wooden spoons to eat all their meals. These could not easily be used as weapons!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 04:50 PM

All my stirring utensils are wooden and I too have a wooden chopping board.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top