Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JulieS
JulieS is female 

25-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Re: Use wooden, rather than metal spoons & spatulas

I use metal can't risk there being a single little trace of anything I am allergic to being on the utensil so metal I can sterilise much easier than wood. Plastic ones are OK too as again most can be sterilised clean.
Risk of death from allergic reaction trumps any other risk for me.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 05:38 PM

I've given up using utensils and eating - too many calories involved.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I've given up using utensils and eating - too many calories involved.
PLUS washing up is really too much
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 06:42 PM

You must use metal spoon when melting chocolate, otherwise you can ruin the mix.

Wooden spoons hold some moisture.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
You must use metal spoon when melting chocolate, otherwise you can ruin the mix.

Wooden spoons hold some moisture.
Aren't you supposed to soak wooden spoons and spatulas in cooking oil to stop them adsorbing smells and moisture? I always have before I first use them and on an ongoing basis
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 06:39 PM

I've been looking for some small silicone spoons for ages. They all seem to be huge and tip out of a small pan. Has anyone seen any in the major stores? I bet Woolworths would have had them!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I've been looking for some small silicone spoons for ages. They all seem to be huge and tip out of a small pan. Has anyone seen any in the major stores? I bet Woolworths would have had them!!
Most of the supermarkets carry a range of kitchen utensils these days though, a store like John Lewis might give you a better choice.

Or you could try Amazon if you don't mind ordering online
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 02:33 AM

Bruce all the chocolate cooking classes tell you to use metal spoons only for melting/mixing chocolate.

I have different wooden spoons for different things. One for jams and one for pickles,relishes or curries and one for cakes etc.

I've never heard of soaking them in oil but I never wash them in dishwasher or use detergent on them. Just wash in boiling water.

The oil might stop the spice smell from getting into the wood
but I just have different spoons.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Bruce all the chocolate cooking classes tell you to use metal spoons only for melting/mixing chocolate.
I'm sure they do, no argument with that.

I was only talking about the treatment of wooden spoons (I suppose I should have deleted the first para) something new for you to try, I just use vegetable cooking oil and redo every few weeks, only takes a minute. Doubtless you could find something about it on the Interweb thing
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 12:31 PM

I have no control over utensils used in my food preparation, that is in the hands of the Chef at my local Indian Takeaway, or the geezer who owns the Chip Shop up in the village.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top