Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 04:40 AM

On ex-pats

I'm getting very grumpy. Though obviously there are some really community minded expats, so many seem to be intent on making money for themselves rather than helping a fledgling nation develop. There are plenty of greedy investors, but all they invest is money to reap the rewards of having cheap labour available. I wish they would invest more of their time in training and developing the next generation so that they can develop an infrastructure in a nation which has fought so hard to gain its independence.

(Wanders off, shaking head and muttering under breath...)
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Re: On ex-pats

Sorry but I don't quite follow you. Who are these ex-pats you're referring to?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
Sorry but I don't quite follow you. Who are these ex-pats you're referring to?
ZsaZsa I am currently in Timor Leste and the expats I refer to are largely Australian investors, but some other nationalities too. The country was practically demolished by war before gaining its independence 12 years ago. There are some good people here trying to do right by the Timorese, but there are also some vultures...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 08:59 AM

The world has become more greedy - its sickening
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Its a worldwide disease, exploitation and shortsightedness all in the name of Mammon.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Ania try not to get grumpy about it in such a beautiful place or it could spoil your time there. I am afraid it is the same the world over....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Ania, I've lived and worked in many countries like the one your in now. Never as an investor or to 'make money' out of the locals, I was helping local technicians install telecom systems, and trainning them (where necessary.)

I once came across a guy, let's call him Dr. X (He supposedly had a PhD from some UK unniversity) he was supposed to be setting up a factory to provide local employment and products to export.

I quickly sussed that he wasn't investing any of his own money, what's more he knew nothing about production engineering, nor did he know much about the end markets for the products. All he seemed concerned with was how much certain insurance and pension funds in UK would make on their money if he got the factory up and running.

Needless to say he failed miserably (But still got paid) while the locals lost their jobs and the real investors back home lost most of their money.

I wasn't involved in any way (I was working on something completely different) but I always think I learned a lot about some humans by watching him perform in front of an audience
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:15 PM

I agree with Meg Ania, don't dwell on it, it will eat away at you if you do, it's the way the worlds has gone now, money replacing morals all other concerns for their fellow men, human life means little to these people. you are doing good work and your conscience is clear so forget about what you see going on around you because there is absolutely nothing you can do about the power and official backing these vultures have.
Have a drink at the end of your day and try to relax, take care now, and cheer up.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
ZsaZsa I am currently in Timor Leste and the expats I refer to are largely Australian investors, but some other nationalities too. The country was practically demolished by war before gaining its independence 12 years ago. There are some good people here trying to do right by the Timorese, but there are also some vultures...
Indeed a sad story of greed and exploitation - first occupied by Portugal, then became independent for a short space of time only to be brutally invaded and ruled by Indonesia, as if they needed more territories?

then finally became independent aided by an Australian peace force. Thousands of the Timoreans have died in these events plus 5 Australian journalists. Now that there has been oil discovered within the legal sea boundaries of Timor the Australian govt is doing all in its powers in a very underhanded way of acquiring the oil. To the extent that Australian officials have stolen legal documents from the Timoreans lawyers office to prevent them making a sound case in international courts.

the greed of nations continues despite Australia pretending to be a friend to Timor.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

10-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Indeed a sad story of greed and exploitation - first occupied by Portugal, then became independent for a short space of time only to be brutally invaded and ruled by Indonesia, as if they needed more territories?

then finally became independent aided by an Australian peace force. Thousands of the Timoreans have died in these events plus 5 Australian journalists. Now that there has been oil discovered within the legal sea boundaries of Timor the Australian govt is doing all in its powers in a very underhanded way of acquiring the oil. To the extent that Australian officials have stolen legal documents from the Timoreans lawyers office to prevent them making a sound case in international courts.

the greed of nations continues despite Australia pretending to be a friend to Timor.
So true, and so despicable. Indeed over a quarter of the entire population of Timor Leste lost their lives in the conflicts, some say as much as a third of the population. Which makes it all the nicer when you come across such optimism for their country as I met at times in the Timorese. I just hope they don't get screwed over by too many.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top