Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Small Savings Or Am I mean?

Colmans Mustard and Branston Pickle. How much do you waste? Both of these companies must be making so much money from what we leave on the side of our plates. Take less, waste less. Ok so I'm a mean and grumpy old phart!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Re: Small Savings Or Am I mean?

Only use mustard in dishes as it brings out the favour of cheese, don't pile it on the plate it's too hot for me. Haven't eaten pickle for ages too much sugar but only really used to put it in sandwiches so again no waste.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Aah but how about that small square of pickle that fell out of your sarny onto the floor? 1968 I think it was.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:02 PM

I remember decades ago reading a comment from one of the Colemans family that their fortune was based on the mustard that was wasted rather than on that which was eaten.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-05-2014, 03:05 PM

I never waste any mustard at all..but it aint arf 'ot when you spoon it off the plate on its own!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I never waste any mustard at all..but it aint arf 'ot when you spoon it off the plate on its own!
Don't do it then
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Yes I heard that too Des, but I think it was in the days when it came in tins and you mixed water with it, not so much waste now with the tube. My miserable old grandaddy had an asbestos lip shield so he could smoke his cigarettes down to the bitter end in the days before filter tips.
Potatoes have a high wastage factor, at least the way my missus peels them, cabbage has too, many of the outer leaves are ripped off if they look anyway droopy and thrown out. In the old days we used to have a chap come round every monday morning with his 'Slop Cart', the Slopman we called him, he collected it all and it was fed to the pigs, all recycled at no cost to the householder, nowadays it's chucked into the bin and they charge you for it, like I always say it's backwards we're going.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Jem - you were describing me there with the tatas and cabbage. For the size of that cabbage and when I'm finished with it, you just wouldn't believe it, I end up with scraps to cook !
As for the tatas I scalp them good and proper
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:44 PM

I rarely waste food, and when I had Rocky I wasted even less

I also cook in large amounts and refrigerate so that I just need to heat up a little at a time. A lamb stew lasts me a whole week that way
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Yes the tubes are a good idea, to save wasting tubed Mustard, you can substitute for Toothpaste or vice versa, if other folks were as savvy as me, Colemans and Colgate would be on their knees by now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top