Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Re: We should have a Sports Channel

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
BBC managed to get more sport in the olden days than they do now. Sky came along and the prices went up about 100per cent dearer. So that's why everything is money, money nowadays.
You are so right, as you say before Sky came along the BBC could pay 'normal' amounts for sport and they had much more broadly based coverage. When Sky piled in and decided they would make football the sport of choice for all the brainless millions of Brits and upped the fees paid accordingly the BBC could not compete.

The real tragedy is that when you talk to a football supporter you can see they have not the slightest clue how they are being manipulated, it's very clever psychology which the old communist regines of past years would have loved to copy
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Still adds up to a big load of nothing at times that's why we cancelled 3 years ago & just watch our own DVDs we've collected. No commercials either!
Yes, I am increasingly finding the advertising on TV especially annoying, it used to be that an advertiser just told you about what new products they were selling, now it has moved on to a whole new concept where they try to get inside your mind.

You might think I am joking but if you knew how much they spend on 'in house' physchology graduates, computer programmes, surveys, and stuff they call 'below the line' which is really the 'subliminal' element (Messages you don't know you are receiving but which still influence how you respond) it's not funny.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 11:53 AM

If you dont like watching something you can always turn over, or even turn it off.
Where do you stop, a channel for only soaps, game shows, reality shows,
are there not plenty of options available these days. ?

How did we ever get by with only 2 channels only on for a few hours a day ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
If you dont like watching something you can always turn over, or even turn it off.
Where do you stop, a channel for only soaps, game shows, reality shows,
are there not plenty of options available these days. ?

How did we ever get by with only 2 channels only on for a few hours a day ?
We had better programmes, even though it was only 2 channels - for me anyway.
As for switching off - I don't pay them a licence fee to switch off, nor to pay ridiculous sums to celebs !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
We had better programmes, even though it was only 2 channels - for me anyway.
As for switching off - I don't pay them a licence fee to switch off, nor to pay ridiculous sums to celebs !
So millions of people enjoy sport and watching it, but because some dont like it they want it separated, i call that prejudiced. because they cant be bothered to turn over and watch something else. You had a choice given Patsy, so whats the problem with turning over ? Do they not pay the licence fee as well, do their subscription not help pay for your type o programmes ? Do you have a breakdown of what all viewers watch ?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 02:05 PM

I don't understand this area about paying for licence fees & you pay whether you watch TV or not? Do you have to pay for it no matter what?

Also, as far as advertising goes, we noticed that with our great Retro shows that we have on disk, the whole end part of the show (you know..that last bit that comes on before it's over) is included on the purchased disk. That means the bleedin' powers that be had cut it off to make more room for commercials!

Some of those tail ends were vital to wrapping the show up.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Yes Autumn, we have to pay the fee whether we watch the stuff or not and they pay the celebs vast amounts, which really irks me ......
Turning the set off, is not an option either .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2014, 02:16 PM

So millions of people enjoy sport and watching it, but because some dont like it they want it separated, i call that prejudiced. because they cant be bothered to turn over and watch something else. You had a choice given Patsy, so whats the problem with turning over ? Do they not pay the licence fee as well, do their subscription not help pay for your type o programmes ? Do you have a breakdown of what all viewers watch ?
Nom - I think you are being very unfair, I don't begrudge people their sport, in fact, I will be watching some of the World cup matches !
Whats wrong with a sports channel, and why treat me like a bloomin criminal for daring to suggest it !
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 02:46 PM

So millions of people enjoy sport and watching it, but because some dont like it they want it separated, i call that prejudiced. because they cant be bothered to turn over and watch something else.
And millions don't.

The point being made was that it isn't that people can't 'be bothered to turn over' when the channels are swamped with it leaving them with no choice.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 03:37 PM

The thing that annoys me is why they have to take off Emmerdale for football. It's the only soap I watch, they could put football on later or as you say on another channel. I don't like sport either and I think if I did I'd like a channel devoted to it. I like classical music but, there's no channel for that either.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top