Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:09 AM

Re: No Big Deal, Just Wondering, though !!!

Whooz da best Audrey? The forum members here?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Whooz da best Audrey? The forum members here?
"Yooz guys" is Chicago slang.. It's the equivalent of Southerners saying Y'all. Or it can be shortened to just "Guys" All people and groups are "guys" in Chicago.. male, female or mixed groups are "guys"

Da... Dem.. Dos.. Is also Chicago slang. They claim we do not pronounce the TH... in Them, The, Those.. I however do not hear that much. At the most.. the TH is sort of slurred into a D.. which I must admit, when I am speaking very fast... I do.. it's sort of a softer D than the hard D sound.

It is also VERY Chicago to end sentences with a preposition. As in.. "Where are we going to?" or "where do you live at?" I hear that all the time, and I try hard to not do it. But again, in relaxed situations in conversation, I do. Especially with other Chicagoans.

The Chicago accent is very different from the New York accent although untrained ears think they are alike... they are far from it.

Here's a quick guide... http://www.wikihow.com/Fake-a-Chicago-Accent
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 12:49 PM

We say guys all the time too for either sex. In fact funnily, a Brit I was writing too said it back to me & my hubby & it looked so funny from her. She said "you'll have me talking Canadian now!"

No I just meant if you were saying it to the forum members or Canadians, no biggie
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
We say guys all the time too for either sex. In fact funnily, a Brit I was writing too said it back to me & my hubby & it looked so funny from her. She said "you'll have me talking Canadian now!"

No I just meant if you were saying it to the forum members or Canadians, no biggie
I love accents.. Well.. almost all.. I can't really take the Boston one.. it grates on me. All the others are great.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

13-06-2014, 01:59 PM

I'm not a fan of particular accents either
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Please accept my apologies Kiera - and welcome to the forum of course - you are more than welcome as you've probably noticed!

Nashville Tennessee huh?!
Sounds so glamorous to me but if I may, can I just say hello to someone who has responded to your post too?

He's Australian and I like to think he's a friend.

He knows who I am and I know him from some place else but, no matter.

It's so nice to hear from you Kiera and for me it is nice to hear that my friend P*********e is OK too only he's not accepting PMs.

See ya later Kiera. stevmk2
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

13-06-2014, 03:48 PM

Of course you are welcome even if you don't know if there's any other AA's here?
So you've received an apology from stevmk2, nice
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 01:38 AM

WELL, I did set the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons with my intended Aussie-humour post about Yank-speak, didn't I ?

Someone replied "speak for yourself". I reckon that my saying "THIS (bigoted) Aussie" makes it pretty clear that I was - mate !

As for the "Yank" thing ....
throughout most of the English-speaking world, ALL citizens of the Grand Ole USA are (affectionately?) called 'Yanks'.
Nothing whatever to do with the old North/South, YankEE/Reb thing.
Like 'Aussies', 'Canucks', 'Kiwis', 'Poms', 'Taffys', 'Paddys', 'Springboks' etc etc.

In fact, did not some bloke named Cohen get some sort of congressional medal for his old war song "The Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming ... " ?
Surely there is no suggestion that only NORTHERNERS fought in whatever war that was ?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

14-06-2014, 01:43 AM

Where did you get your moniker from?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pumicestone I understand the Aussie accent is similar to that of cockneys because a large numbers of the latter were deported there .
Originally Posted by kierra ->
Well, I've learned something. Thanks for that bit of info, Meg. That's why I like forums such as this. You learn something !!!!
And, if I may ask, why were they deported to Australia ??
Originally Posted by Meg ->
...loosly described as 'criminals' some people were sentenced to penal transportation to the colonies including Australia . The crime could be as minor as 'stealing' bread when they were starving
PARTLY correct.
Many of those transported were Irish political stirrers. Not too many cockneys that I know of.

HOWEVER ... what most Yanks do not realize is that Aus only became the destination for these convicts in 1788.
For many, many decades before that, they were sent to Britain's AMERICAN colonies. 50,000 to Virginia alone.
Given the lengthy additional breeding time, it is certain there are far more AMERICANS with convict forebears than we have here in Aus.

G'day Steve. Good to see you.
I have not intentionally blocked any PMs - might have something to do with my 'New Member' status ?

My choice of 'Pumicestone' is less to do with my abrasive personality than the fact that I live in the 'Pumicestone Passage Marine Park'. Google if interested.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top