Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: Today's Doom & Gloom - House Prices Dropping.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
... By getting Councils to sell off their housing stock, stealing the money raised by the sales from the Councils and denying them the opportunity to replace such council housing stock, leading to the situation we no have - a severe 'social' housing stock - evil witch!!!
The ideology behind selling off council houses was clear I thought, not so much to help people onto the ladder as do away with social housing entirely. Tories would love that and they have almost succeeded. I'm not sure she was so much an evil witch as just a typical tory who don't believe in any help for anyone. We are all supposed to make our own way not need any help at all. Latest benefit changes are designed to kill off those who can't do that IMO
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Now we seem to be denied access to the Military part of the Satellite business.

Won't be getting back our share of the funding.

Still, we're probably OK as the Techies are likely to be in the UK.

Wonder what threats will be released tomorrow!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 02:39 PM

I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom TBH.

My heart goes out to all those who cannot afford to get a deposit for their own home, especially as they have to rent when rents themselves are also ridiculously high and for most, either unaffordable or leaves them unable to save for a deposit. A vicious circle with no end. So any relief, such as a price drop, must surely help alleviate this nightmare scenario.

I am so fortunate to be in the position that we have paid off our mortgage and have no debt. We have no intention of ever moving so it wouldn’t really affect us. It wasn’t without sacrifice though. I well remember when interest rates rose to 15 per cent in 1989 for a year, it almost had us on our knees!.Again in 1992 they rose to 12 per cent and there were threats from the Tory government that it would rise to 15 per cent. Thankfully, it didn’t materialise.

So yes, anything, such as a house price drop, that helps youngsters and families present day to either scrape a deposit together for the joy of actually having a mortgage to eventually own their own home, or be able to afford a reasonable rented property, is to be highly commended.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom TBH.

My heart goes out to all those who cannot afford to get a deposit for their own home, especially as they have to rent when rents themselves are also ridiculously high and for most, either unaffordable or leaves them unable to save for a deposit. A vicious circle with no end. So any relief, such as a price drop, must surely help alleviate this nightmare scenario.

I am so fortunate to be in the position that we have paid off our mortgage and have no debt. We have no intention of ever moving so it wouldn’t really affect us. It wasn’t without sacrifice though. I well remember when interest rates rose to 15 per cent in 1989 for a year, it almost had us on our knees!.Again in 1992 they rose to 12 per cent and there were threats from the Tory government that it would rise to 15 per cent. Thankfully, it didn’t materialise.

So yes, anything, such as a house price drop, that helps youngsters and families present day to either scrape a deposit together for the joy of actually having a mortgage to eventually own their own home, or be able to afford a reasonable rented property, is to be highly commended.
Maybe a price drop will have the knock on effect of getting some of those foreign inverstors to sell up their empty properties.

Have a look at this:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...t-time-decade/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
i don’t think it’s all doom and gloom tbh.

I am so fortunate to be in the position that we have paid off our mortgage and have no debt. We have no intention of ever moving so it wouldn’t really affect us. It wasn’t without sacrifice though. I well remember when interest rates rose to 15 per cent in 1989 for a year, it almost had us on our knees!.again in 1992 they rose to 12 per cent and there were threats from the tory government that it would rise to 15 per cent. Thankfully, it didn’t materialise.

Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Falling property prices is not all good news.
Look at the effect on the economy.

https://www.mortgageguideuk.co.uk/th...-prices-in-uk/
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Falling property prices is not all good news.
Look at the effect on the economy.

https://www.mortgageguideuk.co.uk/th...-prices-in-uk/
From which follows that brexit (with or without deal) is an economic disaster.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
From which follows that brexit (with or without deal) is an economic disaster.

That will be OUR choice, not something imposed on us from Bruxelles !!!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Now we seem to be denied access to the Military part of the Satellite business.

Won't be getting back our share of the funding.

Still, we're probably OK as the Techies are likely to be in the UK.

Wonder what threats will be released tomorrow!
The wonderful days of lighthouses are over.
PESCO is intended as a mechanism through which to deepen defence cooperation amongst capable and willing EU Member States, specifically in capabilities development.
As noted above, any capabilities and assets developed under PESCO will remain under the ownership and control of the participating EU Member States, and will be made available to NATO and UN operations. It will not give the EU control over individual nations’ armed forces, including the UK.
As a voluntary mechanism the UK does not have to participate in PESCO. Indeed, it did not sign the Joint Notification on 13 November 2017.

Outside of the PESCO mechanism, however, the UK will have no decision-making rights or any veto over its future strategic direction, which has been openly acknowledged as greater EU integration in the field of defence.
Post-Brexit the Government has stated that it wishes to retain some sort of defence and security relationship with the EU, and specifically in capabilities development. It has long made clear its preference to keep the option of third party participation in PESCO, on a project-by-project basis
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

02-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
That will be OUR choice, not something imposed on us from Bruxelles !!!
What choice? Both choices lead to economic downfal. With a deal 5% economic downfal, without a deal 10%.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top