Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Posting Photos Online

Yesterday I listened to a weekly online broadcast of "The Grid", a talk show about photographic ethics and topics of interest. http://kelbytv.com/ The topic of this week's show was "Do you appreciate unsolicited critiques and comments about your photos"? I found this instantly of interest as I post on half a dozen photographic forums as well as Senior's forums. Usually the photographic forums have a separate section for posting for critique. Some even have guidelines to giving a constructive critique.

The Kelby show has a panel of top professional photographers, authors and educators. They all believe that unless requested the members of any forum should restrain from critiques and especially comments or opinions. The poster doesn't know these folks, their work or credentials. A critique, by nature, should only be given in such a way to uplift the poster and recommend alternatives that would improve everyone's knowledge.

I posted a link to this show on two separate photographic forums. ShutterFreaks responded positively, thanking me for the link and pointing out their policy on the subject of critiques. PhotoCamel had three folks trash my post complaining that the show was too long to watch. I must admit I thanked the folks from PhotoCamel for proving the point of the show, which, had they watched it, was:

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top