Join for free
Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 10:27 PM

Re: The new passports (Post-Brexit)

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That's not true Annie and you should stop peddling that myth

Most voted Brexit to Leave an EU wanting ever closer union with more and more decisions destined to be taken in Brussels.
Decisions that won't be in the UK's national interest.

Ou time in the EU has shown us that we do not get listened to by Brussels and our voice is constantly drowned out.
Ok I was wrong. I admit the other 50% of brexit voters cast their vote because of bent bananas....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by moscow ->
that's not true annie and you should stop peddling that myth

most voted brexit to leave an eu wanting ever closer union with more and more decisions destined to be taken in brussels.
Decisions that won't be in the uk's national interest.

Ou time in the eu has shown us that we do not get listened to by brussels and our voice is constantly drowned out.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ok I was wrong. I admit the other 50% of brexit voters cast their vote because of bent bananas....
Ha ha very funny, but that's no different to the Remainers who voted Remain because they thought the planes would fall out of the sky and there would be no-one to serve them coffee!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:34 AM

I think Ken Clarke is about right when he dismissed all this fuss about where they are printed as “nationalist nonsense” and that there is “childlike, jingoistic element to this debate”.

But then I think a lot of people voted Brexit because of "nationalist nonsense" and that the pro Brexit argument has a lot of childlike and jingoistic elements.

http://https://www.theguardian.com/u...alist-nonsense

"Clarke pointed out that De La Rue “makes a great deal of money for this country by printing passports and currencies for other countries”, because it “wins fair, international contracts” – and it would be “totally ridiculous to abandon that principle in order to give in to nationalist nonsense which ought to be ignored”.

Exactly, the Brexiters claim to want international free trade agreements based on merit of bids, then want protectionism when it comes to the passports. Have your cake and eat it...again.

I abhor what the Brexiter Little England blue passports represent and will keep a red one as long as possible to minimise the shame when travelling so I do understand this is an emotive issue for both sides.

But really, it doesn't matter much who prints them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
I think Ken Clarke is about right when he dismissed all this fuss about where they are printed as “nationalist nonsense” and that there is “childlike, jingoistic element to this debate”.

But then I think a lot of people voted Brexit because of "nationalist nonsense" and that the pro Brexit argument has a lot of childlike and jingoistic elements.

http://https://www.theguardian.com/u...alist-nonsense

"Clarke pointed out that De La Rue “makes a great deal of money for this country by printing passports and currencies for other countries”, because it “wins fair, international contracts” – and it would be “totally ridiculous to abandon that principle in order to give in to nationalist nonsense which ought to be ignored”.

Exactly, the Brexiters claim to want international free trade agreements based on merit of bids, then want protectionism when it comes to the passports. Have your cake and eat it...again.

I abhor what the Brexiter Little England blue passports represent and will keep a red one as long as possible to minimise the shame when travelling so I do understand this is an emotive issue for both sides.

But really, it doesn't matter much who prints them.
Hi

Passports are a real Security Issue, Banknotes are not.

That is why a forged British Passport costs five times as much as others on Khao San Road in Bangkok.

A UK Passport allows Visa Free Access to loads of Countries.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Passports are a real Security Issue, Banknotes are not.

That is why a forged British Passport costs five times as much as others on Khao San Road in Bangkok.

A UK Passport allows Visa Free Access to loads of Countries.
But I don't see why there would be more security issues because the French firm are making them. In fact, a spokesperson for the prime minister said one of the reasons for choosing Gemalto was it's good IT and security guarantees.

Perhaps it's De La Rue that needs to tighten up on securtiy as they've been making the UK passports for ten years and you say there are plenty for sale on Khao San Road in Bangkok.

Perhaps the French firm are just better, on price and security.

"The spokesman added that the winning company "scored full marks for the IT and security solutions and all facilities meet required standards for information security".

http://https://www.politicshome.com/...ade-them-award
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 04:00 PM

But I don't see why there would be more security issues because the French firm are making them. In fact, a spokesperson for the prime minister said one of the reasons for choosing Gemalto was it's good IT and security guarantees.

Perhaps it's De La Rue that needs to tighten up on securtiy as they've been making the UK passports for ten years and you say there are plenty for sale on Khao San Road in Bangkok.

Perhaps the French firm are just better, on price and security.

"The spokesman added that the winning company "scored full marks for the IT and security solutions and all facilities meet required standards for information security".

http://https://www.politicshome.com/...ade-them-award
I wonder, do you agree with the very insular French practice of encouraging people to buy French products, especially cars? You rarely see non-French cars in France!
twizzle
somerset

29-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wonder, do you agree with the very insular French practice of encouraging people to buy French products, especially cars? You rarely see non-French cars in France!
What has that got to do with who makes UK passports? This is about fair tender for contracts, not individuals choosing to buy products from their own country. I've heard time and time again people saying we should all buy British products, so why shouldn't the French do the same with their home grown products.? Personally, I thnk it's very restrictive for citizens of either country to only buy home produced goods and I'll be doing exactly the opposite, but it's an individual choice.
If you are suggesting that companies from other countries shouldn't be allowed to tender for contracts from the UK, then the UK would lost out because those countries would retaliate by not allowing the UK to tender for their contracts.

I thought the glorious, Brave New World of Little Brexiterland was supposed to be about free trade and getting out there and winning trade agreements and contracts.. But when you don't win one, you sulk and say it's your ball and the others shouldn't be allowed to play. Wanting your cake and eat it...........again.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-03-2018, 07:05 PM

What has that got to do with who makes UK passports? This is about fair tender for contracts, not individuals choosing to buy products from their own country. I've heard time and time again people saying we should all buy British products, so why shouldn't the French do the same with their home grown products.? Personally, I thnk it's very restrictive for citizens of either country to only buy home produced goods and I'll be doing exactly the opposite, but it's an individual choice.
If you are suggesting that companies from other countries shouldn't be allowed to tender for contracts from the UK, then the UK would lost out because those countries would retaliate by not allowing the UK to tender for their contracts.

I thought the glorious, Brave New World of Little Brexiterland was supposed to be about free trade and getting out there and winning trade agreements and contracts.. But when you don't win one, you sulk and say it's your ball and the others shouldn't be allowed to play. Wanting your cake and eat it...........again.
Yes, that's what I thought! You are so predictable.
twizzle
somerset

29-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that's what I thought! You are so predictable.
As are you Reactionaries and Brexiters. I could write your posts for you, you all sound the same.

Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top