Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Price of Stamps

Tomorrow the price of a first class stamp will be 46p(thats over nine bob in old money). The second class will be 36p, (no, I'm not going down that road again!) Everyone surely will think twice before posting anything, unless its particularly essential. Myself being a former postman, albeit for a short while, this will almost be the deathknell for the Post Office.Obviously e-mail has caused most people to not use the post as often,but what future has the P.O., now that privatisatian will hive off the most profiable parts? Seems such a shame for one such proud instition.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Re: Price of Stamps

At least they didn't put the price up before Christmas John - I don't seem to use stamps as much as I did - just Christmas cards and the odd letter or parcel.

I thought The Post Office was diversifying a bit these days - they now do investments and at our local one you can get cash - instead of having to go to a hole in the wall or the bank.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2011, 01:23 PM

We always buy 10 books of 1st & 2nd class stamps and they seem to last just long enough intil the new price rise comes into place thus saving you the price rise for a year.
GOG
Northumberland UK
GOG is male  GOG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2011, 05:27 PM

I know it does seem exorbitant. especially to those of us who can remember stamps at 1d and 2d in the 1950s.
However when I consider that I can post a letter in Northumberland at 5:00 pm at the Postbox round the corner and it is delivered to my brother's house in St.Albans the next morning, I believe that it is still great value given the cost rises in the last 60 years.

The problem for the Post Office is of course that people will use email for personal communication these days and only use snail mail for business and documents. If the PO wants to compete with the likes of DHL for this business then the Unions are going to have to get real I am afraid and accept the necessary changes. Without modernisation and change then the PO will lose the most lucrative business to DHL, UPS and their like and may well not survive.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2011, 05:49 PM

I have made the switch from postage stamps to electronic media transfer. You can't lose an email and it's nearly instantly received. In the case of online bill payment they always send or give you a reference number which I save as a pdf file for proof I paid the bill. I even get my rent/trash/sewer/parking bill online. There I physically write a paper check and walk across the parking lot to hand them the payment. The reason for that is that they have the nerve to add a fee if you pay them electronically. As long as I can still walk that won't happen. I use maybe one or two postage stamps a month, usually involving mailing of rebate or special proof documents to receive free goodies such as my really fine $125 Leica soft leather camera case.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2011, 07:03 PM

It's a fact these days that I post very little, communicating mainly by e-mail. I pay for things as much as I can online and by direct debit, so that the few things that need posting are such as greetings cards (I hate electronic cards) and documents. I must agree with GOG though, that it is still incredible value for money really, to take something so far for just a few pence.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

04-04-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's a fact these days that I post very little, communicating mainly by e-mail. I pay for things as much as I can online and by direct debit, so that the few things that need posting are such as greetings cards (I hate electronic cards) and documents. I must agree with GOG though, that it is still incredible value for money really, to take something so far for just a few pence.

Plantman , I find MoonPig and Funky Pigeon to be very good web sites where you can choose a card ( even have your own picture put on it ) and they will send it to any address for you at what I think is a very reasonable price .

Links here ...............

http://www.moonpig.com/uk/

http://www.funkypigeon.com/Personali...FUdP4QodZDFArQ

Also this one , but I havnt tried this one myself so cant recommend it .......... YET

http://www.thedogsdoodahs.com/?gclid...FQoY4QodxXhorw

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks Topaz, I may give em a try next time, as long as there is a real card involved!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2011, 10:31 AM

With people using on-line email cards and greeting messages (very impersonal IMO) is it any wonder why the post offices are closing.

I use the mail very regularly and I always will as long as it is there, you cant beat the personal touch.

Use it or Lose it.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

05-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Thanks Topaz, I may give em a try next time, as long as there is a real card involved!

YVW Plantman , and yes , its a proper card that arrives via the Mail ...Very nice cards too .....I use them all the time .... They have a wide selection for you to choose from in various categories , but what I like to do is use my own pictures from my Computer and have those on the fronts of the cards ...... Much more personal and greatly appreciated by the recipients.......... You can choose your own words too , beats the heck outta shp bought ones imho

It`s sent via Royal Mail , so they still make money too......... Cant remember the last time I used a Post Office , everything I used to use it for can be done online now .

P.S .......... They give you the option to caption the piccy you upload too , which can be quite funny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top