Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Re: What do you find charming ?

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Such eloquence! I changed my mind about you Australians, whoever said you’re an arrogant lot hasn’t met you.
Don’t push your luck though cause we’re still better than you are at Rugby and cricket!

Haw! well thanks Minx. Arrogant? Hmm..I know the Kiwis sometimes think we're arrogant. The smaller nations of the South Pacific definitely think we are. THese days I think the English, mostly the older ones - Young British people are great mostly in my experience - don't know whether to try to cling to some kind of notion of superiority or to be jealous. Despite their much greater size and wealth, Americans, for the most part see us as equals. Canadians and Irish seem to see us as kindred spirits in most ways and I have never met an arrogant person from either country in in my life or one that thought we were. Scottish women are invariably lovely but the men often seem to hate everybody and violence is never far beneath the surface - in my experience leastways. And South Africa?..well you are a breed on your own. Yes I have met many very arrogant South Africans but as with the Brits, they are mostly of an older generation. MOst South Africans I've met in the last couple of decades were musicians..and black. No arrogance there. Most of the Australian arrogance I've seen has been internal. State against state, city against city. For example, the Western Australians think the "Eastern Staters" , particularly Sydney people are up themselves. This is depsite the fact that they are the richest state per capita and the very epitome of a comfortable, middle class, "nothing to worry about so we'll make something up" society. What people in Perth call a "slum" is just an ordinary no frills working class suburb in Sydney or Melbourne. Melbournians never miss a chance to bucket Sydney even though they are now basically the biggest city in Australia give or take a few hundred thousand. Sydney doesn't care. ADelaide is quietly smug. Brisbane is big, brash, hot and thirsty and also doesn't care, Darwin is basically an Asian city. Canberra is too pre-occupied with itself to even think about anywhere else; and Hobart is the most beautiful and best kept secret in the country. Yes SA is great at rugby. Perhaps the equal best with NZ. But cricket.?..nah. BUt thanks so much for the bouquet. You can fling me those pretty lies all you like.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:07 AM

Some people have a natural charm which they are not always aware of.
Others turn it on and off like a tap.

I think a 'Charmer' would be thoughtful, aware of other's emotions, reliable, kind, - and a smile to die for.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I can only respond with examples..for me. I can't define charming. Too subjective. The following I find charming -Charming to me means engaging, entertaining, substantial, "cool", intelligent, well mannered, memorable, classy etc. (Sexy and alluring etc are different things.)
What makes a person charming?..A sense of humour. Being able to listen and not just talk about themselves. Generosity and kindness. INtelligence and knowledge without arrogance. Good manners. I find all those things very charming in anybody.

The following random famous people are just a few whom I find charming and define for me what the word means. Things?..Great jazz and blues played by seasoned and competent musos. Watching a graceful and talented surfer. Stories of great achievement in the face of adversity.

Michelle Obama..and Barack
Jacinda Ardern
Jodie Foster
Kylie Minogue
Cate Blanchett
Margot Robbie
NIcole Kidman
Tina Arena
Kate Winslet
Stephen Fry
Brad Pitt
Diana Krall
Isn't it strange how we have different opinions on what or who is charming? For me, everyone on your list is the complete opposite of charming. No doubt if I compiled a list you wouldn't find any of them charming in return.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
She?
Is that not a dress and a headband?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Isn't it strange how we have different opinions on what or who is charming? For me, everyone on your list is the complete opposite of charming. No doubt if I compiled a list you wouldn't find any of them charming in return.
Strange indeed. Nobody at all?..OK If we were all the same it would indeed be a very un charming world. How about a list from you. See if you are correct. Could be fun. Isn't that what we're here for?

PS. I should have added:-

Sir David Attenborough
Sir Michael Parkinson
Dame Judy Dench
Dame Joan Sutherland (Dceased but still charming)
Cathy Freeman....You probably feel the same about them.
Oh..And Geoffrey Boycott.....Joke.
keezoy
Australia

08-12-2020, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is that not a dress and a headband?

Very charming headband
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Strange indeed. Nobody at all?..OK If we were all the same it would indeed be a very un charming world. How about a list from you. See if you are correct. Could be fun. Isn't that what we're here for?

I agree with you, Keezoy.

It is important we all have different tastes and find different things appealing, otherwise we would all desire the same person. And that would leave an awful lot of lonely people who nobody wanted.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 12:55 AM

For me, I find that a woman who makes, and holds eye contact, to be exceptionally charming.

The opposite of charming would be anyone who breaks a conversation to make a cell phone call. For that matter, even answering a cell phone call, when we are in the middle of a conversation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 01:01 AM

I guess I must be the only one who associates charm with the ability to hide insincerity in a way that is so appealing you lap it up. A charm is a type of bewitching magic is it not?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 01:08 AM

Charming? Someone who could sell fridges to the Eskimos!

Or...

Someone who could wrap you round their little finger.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top