Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Re: Britain Booms!

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Very nice saying! It is probably a habit of all countries which have a history of colonialism, don't you think?

To come back to the Brexit topic of this thread: if Britain returns the marbles, it will earn respect and will boom even more.
I agree. They may even take a bit of the high ground they lost by invoking article 16 in october last year by telling they would break an international treaty in a limited and specific way.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I agree. They may even take a bit of the high ground they lost by invoking article 16 in october last year by telling they would break an international treaty in a limited and specific way.
Too bad that we will probably never know how much damage things like that *really* do to a countries reputation. I could imagine that the damage is not that big. Maybe other countries are not much better...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 01:55 PM

Too bad that we will probably never know how much damage things like that *really* do to a countries reputation. I could imagine that the damage is not that big. Maybe other countries are not much better...
You mean like the EU planning to invoke article 16 (five months after the UK actually did the same) and being denounced endlessly by brexiters?

The only example I can think of is Iran not keeping to the terms of non proliferation. Still not recovered from that.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:04 PM

Should the thread be renamed?
"We hate Britain" maybe since there's nothing in recent posts relevant to the topic and that title seems better-suited to what is being posted?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:11 PM

Very nice saying! It is probably a habit of all countries which have a history of colonialism, don't you think?

To come back to the Brexit topic of this thread: if Britain returns the marbles, it will earn respect and will boom even more.
Unless I'm missing something here, I believe that the marbles were actually bought and paid for by us.

I am fully aware that many people don't agree with fair trade!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-04-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Unless I'm missing something here, I believe that the marbles were actually bought and paid for by us.

History takes another view jbr!
In 1816 the British Museum acquired the sculptures from the then bankrupt Elgin, who, as Britain’s ambassador to the Sublime Porte, had ordered them to be torn down from the Parthenon after purportedly receiving a permit from the Ottoman forces occupying Athens at the time.

In written comments the greek minister for culture said: “Upon careful review of the statements by prime minister Johnson, it is clear that he has not been properly informed … of the new historical data regarding Greece’s occupation by the Ottomans, which show there was never a legitimate acquisition of the Parthenon sculptures by Lord Elgin, and therefore neither by the British Museum.

“For Greece, the British Museum does not have legitimate ownership, or possession, of the sculptures. The Parthenon, as a symbol of Unesco and western civilisation, reflects universal values. We are all obliged to work towards this direction.”
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

As you are such a protagonist of france, here's for you:

In a move that some believed might embarrass Britain, France agreed to return to Athens part of the frieze that the Louvre had long regarded as one of the most precious pieces in its possession, in return for the museum being loaned spectacular Greek bronzes that had never been seen before.

The positive response, made with unexpected alacrity, came after Mitsotakis lodged the request in July 2019 during talks with his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, on his first official visit to Paris.

Johnson described himself as “a keen scholar of Greek history” in the Ta Nea interview.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You mean like the EU planning to invoke article 16 (five months after the UK actually did the same) and being denounced endlessly by brexiters?

The only example I can think of is Iran not keeping to the terms of non proliferation. Still not recovered from that.
Maybe, anyway in real life it is not us "keyboard warriors" (good phrase, thanks Zaphod) who decide but it is people who have things investigated deeper.
I guess a future trading country would not say "oh no, cannot sign that FTA with the EU because there was that rumor of invArt16 last year (did not find proof but anyway)".
Maybe I am too naive?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-04-2021, 02:32 PM

Maybe, anyway in real life it is not us "keyboard warriors" (good phrase, thanks Zaphod) who decide but it is people who have things investigated deeper.
I guess a future trading country would not say "oh no, cannot sign that FTA with the EU because there was that rumor of invArt16 last year (did not find proof but anyway)".
Maybe I am too naive?
Recent quibbling didn't stop pfizer from selling 1,8 bn vaccine doses to the EU. Might be that when there is a profit to be gained memories shrink.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:35 PM

Hi

We are where we are.

Swings and Roundabouts, some good, some bad.

It was always going to be like this.

It is however what we choose, not what we are told.

That is very, very important to me.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top