Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 05:27 PM

Re: Driving into London? Think twice before doing so …

Personally, I wouldn't set foot in Londonistan and certainly would never drive there for obvious reasons.

Having said that, Marge is talking about going to Kew Gardens for her 60th birthday, I may be obliged to go (although not drive of course).

It occurs to me that if enough people in Londonistan either object to the new rules or even can't afford the charges, there would be a lot of Londoners giving up their cars and, consequently, their road tax.
I wonder if Khan't has considered how to make up the shortfall. He's probably not bothered as that income, I think, goes straight to the government.

It may also result in people moving out of the area, though I'm not sure how many people would want to pay the ridiculously high prices to buy their houses.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Strangely, I too have received a letter from Transport for London, stating that my car (should I be stupid enough to venture anywhere near that cesspit) does not meet the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) standards.

Then there's the usual ramblings about air pollution in the capital and to cap it off, TfL gave the DVLA my registration number (don't know where they got that from), and it was the DVLA who send out the letters.

What became of the Data Protection Act?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 07:42 AM

I really enjoyed driving in the UK. Cant remember much about London apart from it wasnt as bad as Sydney..
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Personally, I wouldn't set foot in Londonistan and certainly would never drive there for obvious reasons.

Having said that, Marge is talking about going to Kew Gardens for her 60th birthday, I may be obliged to go (although not drive of course).

It occurs to me that if enough people in Londonistan either object to the new rules or even can't afford the charges, there would be a lot of Londoners giving up their cars and, consequently, their road tax.
I wonder if Khan't has considered how to make up the shortfall. He's probably not bothered as that income, I think, goes straight to the government.

It may also result in people moving out of the area, though I'm not sure how many people would want to pay the ridiculously high prices to buy their houses.
There's a "100% discount" for residents, but for how long I don't know.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Oh, so if you live there - and vote for the next mayor - you are not charged!

Just to keep visitors out, then?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Living in central London is probably fine without owning a car, plenty of transport to everywhere plus of course nowhere to park anyway or you can but at an extortionate cost. It's possible even to walk most places, if you know London.

Now that the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) area has expanded so much, right to the outer suburbs, easy transport may not be the case. Have a look at the map of this area on my original post, it's quite some large area compared to what it once was.

All this is in aid of the drive (excuse pun) towards electric vehicles. Next will come the increases in taxes both on petrol and diesel fuels and on the vehicles themselves that use those fuels. Look at the increases in Vehicle Excise Duty some years' ago on larger-engined cars (gas-guzzlers) to get them off the roads or pay a small fortune in tax if you wish to drive one of those vehicles.

Soon, and in not so many years either I believe, will come the almost 'compulsory' electric vehicles, everything else will have been priced off the roads.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:26 AM

Did you see this page:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...on-this-page-0

Minimum emission standards
Petrol: Euro 4
Diesel: Euro 6

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Living in central London is probably fine without owning a car, plenty of transport to everywhere plus of course nowhere to park anyway or you can but at an extortionate cost. It's possible even to walk most places, if you know London.

Now that the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) area has expanded so much, right to the outer suburbs, easy transport may not be the case. Have a look at the map of this area on my original post, it's quite some large area compared to what it once was.

All this is in aid of the drive (excuse pun) towards electric vehicles. Next will come the increases in taxes both on petrol and diesel fuels and on the vehicles themselves that use those fuels. Look at the increases in Vehicle Excise Duty some years' ago on larger-engined cars (gas-guzzlers) to get them off the roads or pay a small fortune in tax if you wish to drive one of those vehicles.

Soon, and in not so many years either I believe, will come the almost 'compulsory' electric vehicles, everything else will have been priced off the roads.
Interestingly, we still see 'VIP's still being driven around in large 'gas-guzzlers'.
Why?
Well, I suppose because they can...
and after all, WE are paying for them through our taxes.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 04:28 PM

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...ertain%20times.
I think there are lot of more areas introducing new rules on this,,,Chilles was saying about Bath a while back...
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 05:19 PM

Bath has introduced a clear air zone link for anyone interested

https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/check-yo...hicle%20online

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top