Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 04:15 PM

Re: British firm cracks electric car motor conundrum

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I assume that would convert the engine and carburettor, etc., but what about the storage tank? I assume that would have to be quite different to store gas under pressure.
That's the "all-in" cost, JBR. The storage tank goes into the spare tyre well in the boot. God knows where you put your spare if you have one though. Even our new Qashqai, that doesn't come with a spare tyre, does still have a spare wheel well in the boot.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That's the "all-in" cost, JBR. The storage tank goes into the spare tyre well in the boot. God knows where you put your spare if you have one though. Even our new Qashqai, that doesn't come with a spare tyre, does still have a spare wheel well in the boot.
Very nice vehicle the Qashqai Percy, I bought mine new in 2000 and it still goes like a rocket....2 litre diesel N-Tec with a glass roof. The best car I've ever owned. Mind you, apart from my Citroen Berlingo Van, it's the only brand new car I've ever had...

I'm glad you mentioned the spare wheel, because just as soon as I get my garage back I shall buy my last vehicle....Another Qashqai and I'll keep the spare from my old vehicle....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 04:59 PM

Electric Vehicles.......Phwoar!...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Why not just put the new tank where the old petrol tank was?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2021, 11:53 PM

When you have LPG you retain the petrol capability so it is a dual fuel vehicle. Also for strength reasons LPG tanks are cylindrical very few petrol tanks are.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 12:05 PM

We had a duel fuel petrol/LPG car for several years. Unless the engine was already hot, it wouldn't start on LPG so had to be started on petrol, and then would auto switch over to gas once the engine had reached a certain temperature.

Since it was a retro-mod, the gas tank was put in the spare wheel well and the previous owner had replaced the full sized spare with a space saver wheel. I hate the things.

A purpose built dual fuel car would have two tanks from new, but may or may not have space for a spare wheel.

Gas was less than half the price of petrol so was well worth having it, but finding somewhere to top up with gas was not always easy.

As for bio-gas, there is a small power station not too far from here that runs on methane generated from cow manure. It's called Mooclear Power.

The range of pure electric vehicles is one of the biggest problems at the moment and needs addressing, as does the time it takes to charge a vehicle. Some have a rapid charge mode, but this can only be used perhaps once or twice in a twenty four hour period.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-04-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
We had a duel fuel petrol/LPG car for several years. Unless the engine was already hot, it wouldn't start on LPG so had to be started on petrol, and then would auto switch over to gas once the engine had reached a certain temperature.

Since it was a retro-mod, the gas tank was put in the spare wheel well and the previous owner had replaced the full sized spare with a space saver wheel. I hate the things.

A purpose built dual fuel car would have two tanks from new, but may or may not have space for a spare wheel.

Gas was less than half the price of petrol so was well worth having it, but finding somewhere to top up with gas was not always easy.

As for bio-gas, there is a small power station not too far from here that runs on methane generated from cow manure. It's called Mooclear Power.

The range of pure electric vehicles is one of the biggest problems at the moment and needs addressing, as does the time it takes to charge a vehicle. Some have a rapid charge mode, but this can only be used perhaps once or twice in a twenty four hour period.
Aha! You may scoff Mr Fruity but, there is a power station near here that runs on chicken shit, I kid you not....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When you have LPG you retain the petrol capability so it is a dual fuel vehicle. Also for strength reasons LPG tanks are cylindrical very few petrol tanks are.
What Bruce said, JBR.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top