Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 04:41 PM

Re: Smart motorways are dangerous

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ored-time.html

The boss of Highways England last year admitted lives had been lost due to delays in installing separate life-saving radar technology, used to detect stricken vehicles.
£6bn the reason why they won't back down on this unless drivers make a stand.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 08:09 PM

An ideal solution, if only every driver could bring themselves to cooperate(!), would be for everyone to agree not to use the inside lane and effectively treat it as the hard shoulder.

Of course, I can't see that ever happening. Not in this country. The days of everyone working together to benefit us all are long gone, I'm sorry to say.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
An ideal solution, if only every driver could bring themselves to cooperate(!), would be for everyone to agree not to use the inside lane and effectively treat it as the hard shoulder.

Of course, I can't see that ever happening. Not in this country. The days of everyone working together to benefit us all are long gone, I'm sorry to say.
Or do like the lorry drivers do in France and blockade the motorway with three or four abreast....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Or do like the lorry drivers do in France and blockade the motorway with three or four abreast....
I'm no friend of the Frogs, but I do admire the way that they can work together when necessary!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I worry when driving on the M27 to see my friend and am honestly thinking of using the train in the future .

Who ever thought up this idea . So very wrong

I so agree with you Susan.
Whatever possessed anyone to pass a horrendous idea like that!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I worry when driving on the M27 to see my friend and am honestly thinking of using the train in the future .

Who ever thought up this idea . So very wrong
Just use the non-motorway route instead, most of those which were used pre-motorway days are (or were) quiet without as much traffic, everybody uses the motorway!

When I used to visit family in your part of the country I used the A30 or was it the A33(?), then along came the motorway so those A roads became very quiet, they went through the New Forest so far more interesting to drive on than the boring motorway!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I so agree with you Susan.
Whatever possessed anyone to pass a horrendous idea like that!
I have noticed there are pull in emergency areas but what happens if the car just loses power or an instant emergency how would you continue driving to a pull in which is a mile or two on . Life and safety seems unimportant to those who thought up this ludicrous idea
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just use the non-motorway route instead, most of those which were used pre-motorway days are (or were) quiet without as much traffic, everybody uses the motorway!

When I used to visit family in your part of the country I used the A30 or was it the A33(?), then along came the motorway so those A roads became very quiet, they went through the New Forest so far more interesting to drive on than the boring motorway!
That's a good thought I must look up the route
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-06-2021, 11:09 AM

If we should ever break down on a smart motorway and not be able to reach a 'pull in' area, we'd be straight out of the car and on to the grass verge and get as far away from the road as possible.

The car might be smashed and wrecked, but we'd survive - hopefully.

Perhaps when more and more people have been killed, the government will be forced to do something about this dangerous idea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If we should ever break down on a smart motorway and not be able to reach a 'pull in' area, we'd be straight out of the car and on to the grass verge and get as far away from the road as possible.

The car might be smashed and wrecked, but we'd survive - hopefully.

Perhaps when more and more people have been killed, the government will be forced to do something about this dangerous idea.

If it happened to a few government ministers, it might speed up new rules a darn site quicker.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top