Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:35 AM

Pay at Pump charge

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...it-pay-at-pump

Mastercard, Visa and American Express changed their rules.

Tesco said: “Under new rules implemented by Mastercard, Visa and American Express, we must now request authorisation from your card issuer for up to £99.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:49 AM

Re: Pay at Pump charge

They have probably been ripped off in the past by a few unscrupulous card users Cinders, and we are all having to pay the price. However, recently I've been paying for a lot more things with cash including my diesel.

PS: Tesco don't take American Express cards here for some reason... Not that I would ever have one....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They have probably been ripped off in the past by a few unscrupulous card users and we are all having to pay the price. However, recently I've been paying for a lot more things with cash including my diesel.

Same here, Foxy.
Everyone knows where they are that way.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here, Foxy.
Everyone knows where they are that way.
...Morning Mupsy....

Quite right, cut out the middleman and improve your security. No names, addresses, pin numbers, passwords or lists of annoying emails, job done with no comebacks....

We all must 'Use it, or Lose it'....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They have probably been ripped off in the past by a few unscrupulous card users Cinders, and we are all having to pay the price. However, recently I've been paying for a lot more things with cash including my diesel.

PS: Tesco don't take American Express cards here for some reason... Not that I would ever have one....
One slight problem with that OGF is where can you easily get cash these days? My building society branch closed, the bank branch closed with advice that I could use another branch, that one is further out meaning a 25-mile round trip. Cash machines I don't much like using for safety reasons, even those are reduced in number. I resorted to getting £50 'cash back' at the supermarket but now I only shop once a month so less opportunity to get cash. Originally this was due to the lockdown, but now I keep to that as mixing with more people means taking more risk.

This news item and the £100 deposit applies only to using the machine at the pump, from what I can understand. All we have to do is walk a few yards and pay at the kiosk to avoid this situation. Good exercise and something to get rid of the weight gained during the lockdown perhaps!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:55 PM

I never pay at the pump. For some illogical reason I don't trust the pump. Anyway, I often buy bits and pieces at the kiosk when I go in.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 04:20 PM

We always "Pay At Kiosk" at Tesco so we can get the points.

One thing that crossed my mind when I read about this was it would potentially stop those intent on "bilking" i.e. filling up and driving off without paying for the fuel at supermarket fuel stations.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

30-06-2021, 06:19 PM

We only ever fill up at unmanned stations because they’re always at least 10 pence per litre cheaper. Pay with our Mastercatd credit card that gives us bonus points on all purchases that we can use for train journeys and hotels. Last time I used the points we got a return rail trip Stockholm to Copenhagen plus three nights at a four star hotel.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
We only ever fill up at unmanned stations because they’re always at least 10 pence per litre cheaper. Pay with our Mastercatd credit card that gives us bonus points on all purchases that we can use for train journeys and hotels. Last time I used the points we got a return rail trip Stockholm to Copenhagen plus three nights at a four star hotel.
Other than the cashier at the kiosk I would reckon 99.9% of our petrol stations are unmanned. Gone are the days when someone actually filled the tank for you and also would inflate the tyres and clean the windscreen. Our fuel is reckoned to be the most expensive in the world anyway, unless anyone knows differently that is?
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

30-06-2021, 09:32 PM

Actually the UK isn’t even in the top ten for the highest price for petrol. You come in seventeenth after several other European countries.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top