Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 07:08 PM

Camera straps

Just thought it worth a mention.
As most know i am a Nikon fan but this applies to all makes.

Nikon and others supply straps with their camera, and a real nuisance they are too.
I have always struggled with the supplied straps twisting up, and slipping off the shoulder so I decided to do something about it.

So onto the internet and youtube in particular.
Two spring out from the rest Black Rapid and Peak Design being the most popular.
What put me off Black Rapid was the strap being attached to where the tripod mount goes and should the fixing become loose one could damage thousands of pound of camera gear

So onto Peak Design which fascinated me with their quick release system Mainly and could still be attached as a normal strap or other variations.

So off i toddle to the local camera store and ordered a Peak Design "slide" version for heavy cameras.

So easy to connect and disconnect from the camera and put on to other things so I bought one and orders extra locking buttons for the other cameras of mine.

Now there is no blazing out of camera type or model so less attraction the thieves and different ways of carrying it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 06:32 AM

Re: Camera straps

Personally I only use a wrist strap for my cameras. You can buy a sturdy one on Ebay for a few dollars. Just uses the existing strap loop (whatever it is called)

A lot more convenient than a neck or shoulder strap. It should have a loop that puts the loop tighter on your wrist so you don't even have to hold the camera if you need both hands for something. Unfortunately I lost it and haven't got round to replacing it - I tend to just use an elastic band at the moment

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060912.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	7497  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Here's mine ....

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...B1TnM1dUpPSEtR

And I wear a sling type bag.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Bruce I had thought about getting a wrist strap, But when you have something like this weighing 7lb you can forget wrist straps. This even needs support in the way of mono /tripod

Nikon D810+ battery pack+Nikon 80-400mm G lens

My camcorder has a wrist strap and it is really good to use. So I have nothing against them providing the weight factor is acceptable
IfI just used this camera with my 50mm lens then yes definately a wrist strap will suffice
Jaybay
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
Jaybay is female 

15-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just thought it worth a mention.
As most know i am a Nikon fan but this applies to all makes.

Nikon and others supply straps with their camera, and a real nuisance they are too.
I have always struggled with the supplied straps twisting up, and slipping off the shoulder so I decided to do something about it.

So onto the internet and youtube in particular.
Two spring out from the rest Black Rapid and Peak Design being the most popular.
What put me off Black Rapid was the strap being attached to where the tripod mount goes and should the fixing become loose one could damage thousands of pound of camera gear

So onto Peak Design which fascinated me with their quick release system Mainly and could still be attached as a normal strap or other variations.

So off i toddle to the local camera store and ordered a Peak Design "slide" version for heavy cameras.

So easy to connect and disconnect from the camera and put on to other things so I bought one and orders extra locking buttons for the other cameras of mine.

Now there is no blazing out of camera type or model so less attraction the thieves and different ways of carrying it.
Thanks for this. I have now done a bit more research and will be ordering one today. I bought my first DSLR in January, having had a bridge for years, and have been unhappy with the strap but never really thought about getting a new one but your comment prompted me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top