Join for free
Page 30 of 34 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Re: Supreme Court nominee accused

The judge did not necessarily lie. He said he never blacked out. Where is the proof that he did black out ?

Has someone come forward and said that he/she spoke with the judge the following day and he (the judge) said , "I don't remember a thing from last night ? No ! They have not !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Stop being a plonka gummy.
How can you give just a yes or no without all the evidence?
I stand by what I said.

At this point in time I don't believe he's guilty.
bit like saying if that horse doesn't stumble I think it will win?

it's called hedging ya bets - just admit it fender you are too cautious always!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 12:18 AM

The Republicans have the necessary votes to confirm Judge Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Surprisingly, one Democrat will also vote "Yes".

Saturday morning (Washington time) the voting will begin.

Shortly thereafter President Trump will swear him in as a lifetime Justice.

So, my friends, 'hysterical mob rule has failed'.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 03:50 AM

I have followed this nomination vetting closely, and though you all probably not all that interested, here are my conclusions.

Kavanaugh has an excellent reputation as a jurist. He is a constitutionalist and a literalist, which means that he makes his decisions based on the framing of the U.S. Constitution as the framers intended. I am for that.

Kavanaugh acted like world class jerk when he was younger and his behavior is inexcusable. Both Ford and Kavanaugh were foolish but Kavanaugh was no doubt ultimately blame for his sexual misconduct. Were he a member of my family, we would be having words over the incident - even now. Were he my son, I would be livid.

(As a side note, This incident reminds us that this is a good opportunity to reopen the discussion with the kids in our lives about what's ok and what is not. It's also a reminder to the teens in our family that no matter what bad situation in which they might find themselves - a party they were told not to go to, off parked in some car, at a guy's apartment, a bar, wherever...to make the call and that we will come get them - no questions asked. All teens should have this opportunity for safety/grace.)

I am humbly, soberly grateful that I live in a society in which a woman (minority, child, etc.) could come forward with claims/reservations and was given her opportunity to make her case. Ford exercised her rights and spoke before the Senate, and Kavanaugh was able to face his accuser and rebut her accusations. This was the nomination process in action. Some of the Senators were less than senatorial, but they will answer to their constituencies come the next election cycle.

Because this will affect Americans for decades, the Senate remained concerned enough to launch a final investigation was put forth by the FBI, and the Senators were able to view the report - and it wasn't leaked to the press.

As of today, two Senators were still weighing this decision heavily. One was even seen and described as looking exhausted. In other words, the Senators are putting considerable weight in their decision. Thankfully the ability to make the decision to press on was changed to a simple majority and this was passed today.

This has no doubt been an important learning experience for Kavanaugh on countless levels. He now knows the invaluable experience of what it is like to be the accused. He was essentially tried and there was no corroborating evidence to support the claims, despite Ford's cogent and calm demeanor. I suspect he did as she claimed. I am female enough to know that this is not the kind of claim you make unless it really happened.

The Senate vote will be tomorrow, and it will be close.

If Kavanaugh is not approved, the process will start over, and there is no question in my mind that another qualified candidate will be found. Were I a Senator, I would be looking at the report, reviewing the testimony, listening to my constituency, and then looking around to see whether or not there was another suitable, ethical, constitutionally grounded candidate.

Tomorrow, whether Kavanaugh is affirmed or not, I am putting the flag because it is a good day for America. I will hang the flag because I have the good fortune of being a woman in a nation who is treated as an equal in every way. I can stay on top of this nomination via a free press, vote for my Senatorial representative, and discuss this all openly my friends and neighbors - and you all too.

Well done to Kavanaugh, Ford, the investigators, the Senate, the FBI, and to the citizens of the U.S. Like giving birth, a healthy democracy is a messy, painful process.

I would vote yes.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 03:58 AM

Hi

A brilliant post Surfermom, a ray of commonsense amongst all the bickering.

Off topic I know, but totally agree with what you told your kids, I did exactly the same with mine.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 04:35 AM

yes nice post sufermom

but I'll reserve my final comments until the final decision that USA makes - stand for democracy [real democracy and women] or sink in the mire of a gun ridden ; unequal society [just finished watching a doco on Chicago]

the rest of the democratic world feels sorry for you! IMO
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have followed this nomination vetting closely, and though you all probably not all that interested, here are my conclusions.

Kavanaugh has an excellent reputation as a jurist. He is a constitutionalist and a literalist, which means that he makes his decisions based on the framing of the U.S. Constitution as the framers intended. I am for that.

Kavanaugh acted like world class jerk when he was younger and his behavior is inexcusable. Both Ford and Kavanaugh were foolish but Kavanaugh was no doubt ultimately blame for his sexual misconduct. Were he a member of my family, we would be having words over the incident - even now. Were he my son, I would be livid.

(As a side note, This incident reminds us that this is a good opportunity to reopen the discussion with the kids in our lives about what's ok and what is not. It's also a reminder to the teens in our family that no matter what bad situation in which they might find themselves - a party they were told not to go to, off parked in some car, at a guy's apartment, a bar, wherever...to make the call and that we will come get them - no questions asked. All teens should have this opportunity for safety/grace.)

I am humbly, soberly grateful that I live in a society in which a woman (minority, child, etc.) could come forward with claims/reservations and was given her opportunity to make her case. Ford exercised her rights and spoke before the Senate, and Kavanaugh was able to face his accuser and rebut her accusations. This was the nomination process in action. Some of the Senators were less than senatorial, but they will answer to their constituencies come the next election cycle.

Because this will affect Americans for decades, the Senate remained concerned enough to launch a final investigation was put forth by the FBI, and the Senators were able to view the report - and it wasn't leaked to the press.

As of today, two Senators were still weighing this decision heavily. One was even seen and described as looking exhausted. In other words, the Senators are putting considerable weight in their decision. Thankfully the ability to make the decision to press on was changed to a simple majority and this was passed today.

This has no doubt been an important learning experience for Kavanaugh on countless levels. He now knows the invaluable experience of what it is like to be the accused. He was essentially tried and there was no corroborating evidence to support the claims, despite Ford's cogent and calm demeanor. I suspect he did as she claimed. I am female enough to know that this is not the kind of claim you make unless it really happened.

If Kavanaugh is not approved, the process will start over, and there is no question in my mind that another qualified candidate will be found. Were I a Senator, I would be looking at the report, reviewing the testimony, listening to my constituency, and then looking around to see whether or not there was another suitable, ethical, constitutionally grounded candidate.

Tomorrow, whether Kavanaugh is affirmed or not, I am putting the flag because it is a good day for America. I will hang the flag because I have the good fortune of being a woman in a nation who is treated as an equal in every way. I can stay on top of this nomination via a free press, vote for my Senatorial representative, and discuss this all openly my friends and neighbors - and you all too.

Well done to Kavanaugh, Ford, the investigators, the Senate, the FBI, and to the citizens of the U.S. Like giving birth, a healthy democracy is a messy, painful process.

I would vote yes.
Great post SM
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

I would vote yes.
A brilliant post.

Think it says it all.

And hope the politicians wake to the basic points you made.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Agreed excellent post, well presented, thanks SM
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 05:39 PM

Latest UK news reports 49/ 51 in favour.

Page 30 of 34 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top