Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Re: Fruitcake

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is fruit cake and fruit cake nasty dry stuff at one end and a rich moist delight at the other.

If the best dried fruit is used, washed/steeped in brandy/ mixed with a buttery cake mixture to which is added nuts, spices and citrus, a fruit cake can be something special.
i am with you there Meg,my mouth is watering now
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2011, 03:57 PM

I love fruit cake when its raisins, sultanas nuts etc but don't like the glacier fruits at all, I'm with Eileen on that one. I have bought a small Christmas cake from Sainsburys which I will enjoy for a change.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2011, 05:14 PM

The ones commonly seen here in the States are heavy (make good door stops!), and have weirdly colored pieces of fruit in them .....
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 12:40 AM

Oooh, I love a really good fruit cake In fact, am enjoying a piece right now from M & S and it's really moist and delicious.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 02:37 AM

I remember having to make Christmas cake in cookery class at school. Some of the girls were more artistic than I was, and we had to do trellis work around the cake with icing. We also had to pipe on the top words like "Merry Christmas" or whatever. Mine looked awful!

Some of the cakes made by the other more arty girls were gorgeous though, and were decorated with all sorts of interesting things, but mine was a total disaster. The family ate it though as apparently it tasted okay, but I can't abide marzipan which had been placed on top before icing!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 02:50 AM

I recall my first attempt at icing a Christmas cake too, it wasn't very good, so I ended up 'peaking' it, looked better then.

OH doesn't like the fruit cake, but adores the marzipan and icing. I'm not too keen on the marzipan myself, so it works out well between us.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
I recall my first attempt at icing a Christmas cake too, it wasn't very good, so I ended up 'peaking' it, looked better then.

OH doesn't like the fruit cake, but adores the marzipan and icing. I'm not too keen on the marzipan myself, so it works out well between us.
I've made Christmas cakes for years and always do the 'peaking' icing, Carmen. We were taught at school how to do the smooth icing by spooning on some softer icing onto the top of the cake, then pick it up and tip it all shapes so that the icing runs smoothly over the top and down the sides ....... then you had to go over it with a pin and pop all the air bubbles!
Too much trouble for me, I'll stick to the peaking!

We were given a M & S Christmas cake this year and I agree they are really moist and scrumptious!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
LOL, I'm a charter member of the I Hate Fruitcake Society ... we've had this discussion before, but I couldn't resist posting this! Nasty heavy cake full of weird bits of flourescent red and green candied fruit ..... :
But Eileen - it's soaked in brandy! Lots and lots of brandy!

I do like dark fruitcake, sliced thick, warmed up and topped with French Vanilla ice cream. Don't indulge any more though... gone gluten-free.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 10:48 PM

People, people, people - give me a few days and I'll post a recipe I have for a (sweet) mincemeat fruit loaf - can add Brandy to it either before or (better yet) after cooking !!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 10:57 PM

If it has green, yellow and flourescent red fruit in it I refuse to eat it, Uncle Joe, brandy or no brandy!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top