Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 06:46 AM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I retired to The Philippines in 2005. Very, very very inexpensive. 3 bedroom apt only $170 USD/month. If you run the Aircon a great amount it will cost another $100 USD/month.

Many Brits and Aussies living there. Mostly single men. Not for everyone however. An adventurous spirit is required.
and an avoidance of getting hitched to a local I warrant??
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
and an avoidance of getting hitched to a local I warrant??
Some do. Some don't. Some like the freedom.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:29 PM

I know a lot of men who married Filipinos
They get a young pretty wife but she generally comes with a large family who will bludgeon off him as long as his money lasts out.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:45 PM

An option I'm considering is a huge downsize - probably an apartment here, then super-long holidays abroad......... following the sun!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Surely with all this talk of Brexit and falling property prices there will be some very attractive rentals, maybe that's the way to go?

Take a long term rental and rent out your property in the UK to fund it. That way you always have the option to return without the fear of not being able to get back on the property ladder here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Surely with all this talk of Brexit and falling property prices there will be some very attractive rentals, maybe that's the way to go?

Take a long term rental and rent out your property in the UK to fund it. That way you always have the option to return without the fear of not being able to get back on the property ladder here.

Hi

The problem with that is exchange rate uncertainty if you are relying on UK Earnings and Pensions.

It does cound attractive, but perhaps better to wait and see where we end up when we know what the final deal is.

If things go badly you could also end up paying tax in both countries.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I know a lot of men who married Filipinos
They get a young pretty wife but she generally comes with a large family who will bludgeon off him as long as his money lasts out.

Is that the ever lovin' truth. I had two Filipina wives and both of them were gold diggers. They thought I was was walking ATM cash machine. When a guy marries a Filipina, he is expected to take care of the entire extended family. I didn't do that and they made my life a living hell.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 06:28 AM

yep my son is goin through the same process with a Thai wife! - all that glitters IS gold on this occasion?
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
yep my son is goin through the same process with a Thai wife! - all that glitters IS gold on this occasion?
An ex colleague of mine had a Thai wife and she literally dumped him just months after she arrived in England. She well and truly fleeced him.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:26 PM

I know a woman who moved to Berlin a few years ago and she raves about how brilliant it is but she comes home regularly every few months and many of us think she does so to get free NHS treatment.

I know several people who have moved to France but that wouldnt appeal to me. I also know a couple who have moved to Mainland Spain. They also come home at regular intervals and I cant quite work that out either because all they talk about is how wonderful their new life is.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top