Join for free
Page 1 of 274 1 2 3 11 51 101 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No, not just a list...an in depth analysis and hopefully, conversation, about each of my favourite records.

I have a collection of 8631 albums. Some are still on vinyl, most on CD and others have been 'collected' via MP3 or streamed for me. But whatever the format, they are my passion, my source of aural pleasure over the past 40 years.

Over the last three weeks or so I have gone right through my collection, which is now housed on a portable 2TB external hard rive device, to collate and eventually place in order of my favourite one thousand albums in order of preference. Therefore, having so many recordings, even the album I am going to begin with in my next post is a good album in my opinion.

And there is where we head next: Opinions.
Please be aware that the albums in this list are only of my own personal opinion and are not me saying to you that they are the best albums. We all have our own personal tastes in music and I am merely offering some of mine.

I'll be putting on a couple of albums at a time, perhaps a few times a day, to discuss amongst ourselves. Some albums are very famous, others you will never have heard of. They span from 1956 right up to recent releases and many artists will appear more than once.

When a particular post begins to fade out or progresses into member digression, I'll add the next one. Please respect that it is my thread and if you could refrain from posting your own favourites, that would be appreciated as the whole thing will descend into a right random mess. But by all means, please post any videos which are connected to the album in question - I would encourage that as it's a good discussion point.

To refresh then, I'll be starting to post my music in reverse order: No.1000 first, all the way down to my all-time favourite album. I'll add my own details with the album's sleeve and a video with info on the release and/or artist concerned. Plus, in intervals of maybe each 50 albums, I'll post a running list where we are at so far. Enjoy!

No.1000 coming up soon
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.1000: "Planet Waves" by Bob Dylan (1974)

Hope that worked!

Planet waves is a studio album by the master of songwriting, Bob Dylan, which is notable for the original version of the much-covered track, 'Forever Young' recently recorded by Rod Stewart amongst many others.
Here's Bob's version from a concert in 1988:
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 06:59 PM

No.999: "Barabajagal" by Donovan (1969)

This album featured Jeff Beck on guitar. The title track is a very catchy number and here's Donovan talking about it recently:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 07:11 PM

I've been asked a question by Barry on my initial thread where he wondered how I put this list together. I've copied my reply from that thread for convenience;

Firstly, I would "simply" pick out those records which I liked the most into a MS Word table format. Strangely, there were I think about 1100 albums after the initial phase of compiling.
Next, I would go through a series of adjustments giving each release a mark out of 10. Then, say, with all the best albums which had 10 points, then look at those and grade those each in turn also. This went on for times until I arrived at the list. A lot of the 'minor' albums near the bottom of the list are not too strictly placed, but when I reached my Top 100, I went to great lengths to make sure I had them in a 'best of' order.

It's exhausting work and I can be very meticulous, but I think I got there in the end.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 07:19 PM

No.998: "Medicine" by The Black Moods (2016)

The debut album from this new bluesy-rock outfit. A band I'm hoping to see this year when they tour our shores!
Here's a video of the band's current single:
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Okay, we'll take a break now for any discussions......
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 07:20 PM

A few more than me Floydy, always thought Donovan is underrated.

BTW i watched the DVD of Public service Broadcasting, Live at Brixton last night.

Must find a way to see them myself.

Look forward to seeing more on this thread
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
A few more than me Floydy, always thought Donovan is underrated.

BTW i watched the DVD of Public service Broadcasting, Live at Brixton last night.

Must find a way to see them myself.

Look forward to seeing more on this thread
Hi bud, thanks for popping in

Same here about Donovan. I saw him perform in Hull a couple of years ago, just him and his guitar (the same one in the above video, incidentally) and he relayed some great stories in between singing his classics.
It was very odd though that he didn't move from his seated position on a cushion on a table for the whole show until he sprung into life for the encore of Hurdy Gurdy Man!
A rather surreal evening out!

Public Service Broadcasting are brilliant live, I saw them last year supporting The Flaming Lips, again in Hull. With their boffin looks and keyboard stance, they're like a sort of Kraftwerk on steroids! You must get to see them if you can, you'd enjoy their show.

All three of their albums feature in my list at some point.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Hmm interesting selection not among my 1000 I'm afraid. But I'll keep checking back to see what else you listen to.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Hmm interesting selection not among my 1000 I'm afraid. But I'll keep checking back to see what else you listen to.
Well Julie, only another 997 to go, so hopefully we will share the occasional taste in music.
What sort of bands are you into?

Page 1 of 274 1 2 3 11 51 101 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top