Join for free
Page 48 of 66 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Re: Not going too well for Brexit!!!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
In answer to how we treat commonwealth badly, we could be helping commonwealth countries a lot and ourselves by employing the ones wish to come here. But we don't we welcome anyone from Eu instead. I have nothing against Europeans but if feels rather racist to welcome white faces while ignoring our black cousins who have helped us so much in the two wars, against I may add the people we seem to prefer to invite into our country now.

Pakistan was mentioned what a great idea we had making that country ! Instead of trying a peaceful settlement for India we split the country in two. Arrogance that has led to what we see now.
The USA have shown that affirmative action is not an answer to a problem. In the netherlands we found, with citizes from our former colonies, that education is.
There is a significant difference between EU and commonwealth citizens. Citizens of the realms have a right to come and live in the UK, citizens from the EU are obliged to find a job before being admitted to UK. The EU citizens are more or less invited, because you need their labour. What stops the UK businesses from inviting labour from the commonwealth to come to the UK?
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I'm still Waiting.....Tick Tock!

It looks like I'm not going to get an answer on my original question to you with regard to your comment that there are countries (other than those we already have a free trade agreement with) queuing up to do free trade deals with us.

If they exist and are not just a figment of your imagination, NAME THEM!!!!!!!!

Even though I did offer to help with your answer.

However, you have constantly tried to get yourself out of the merde by asking me a question relating to something I NEVER said.

You can tick and tock as much as you like mister, but like most of your post's, especially those trying to denigrate those posts of AnnieS, are just drivel.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
World trade is often in a state of change, for example from 1948 to 1973 UK-Commonwealth trade fell from 38% to 18% of both parties' total trade; that trading network was in decline long before the UK joined the EU.
Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95 per cent in these three countries compared with only 50 per cent in Britain. After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the more than 40 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965.

After brexit the UK will NOT loose their most important benefits of the (previous) membership: its competitiveness and openness to other markets.
Some on the forum say Britain stands a better chance of growth if it looks beyond the sluggish economies of the EU. But this is a claim about the future, predicated on trading relationships that do not yet exist, rather than an analysis of the past.

https://www.ft.com/content/202a60c0-...d-09f7778e7377
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Get ready for No Deal, civil servants have advised ministers that plans for a ‘No Deal’ Brexit must now be put in place, regardless of what happens this week.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/15/minis...stall-8038685/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 11:30 AM

The USA have shown that affirmative action is not an answer to a problem. In the netherlands we found, with citizes from our former colonies, that education is.
There is a significant difference between EU and commonwealth citizens. Citizens of the realms have a right to come and live in the UK, citizens from the EU are obliged to find a job before being admitted to UK. The EU citizens are more or less invited, because you need their labour. What stops the UK businesses from inviting labour from the commonwealth to come to the UK?
Hi

I rather think that you have got that wrong.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

15-10-2018, 12:09 PM

It might seem peculiar that a young Australian here in Britain on a two-year working holiday is allowed to have a say on whether the UK should leave the European Union.

But Michael Ingle, a 27-year-old physiotherapist living in Surrey, defends his right to participate in the 23 June referendum.

He says that as a taxpayer, and a citizen of the Commonwealth, what happens to Britain is important to him and will have ramifications for the wider world well beyond the cliffs of Dover.

"It's not just about Britain for me, which is why I've taken an interest in it," Mr Ingle, from Sydney, says.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 12:22 PM

It might seem peculiar that a young Australian here in Britain on a two-year working holiday is allowed to have a say on whether the UK should leave the European Union.
When they advertised the referendum here just as a matter of interest I tried to register to vote. Alas they knocked me back saying that being absent from the country for over 50 years disqualified me. I thought it a bit of a cheek as I am still entitled to a British Passport.

If I had said I had only been away a couple of years I could have voted but the reality is that I really don't care if Britain stays or leaves other than I feel sorry for my nephews and nieces who, I fear, will be affected by the outcome for many years to come. .

However it did vote "No" in 1975 just before I left the UK for the second and final time (well, almost... I have visited twice since)
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

15-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Watching 'politics live' on BBC. It seems to me the UK looks on the negotiations with the EU as one in the past with the commonwealth. In negotiations with the commonwealth british word is (almost) law. In negotiating with the EU the UK is the subordinate. A position the UK finds hard to digest.
Any truth in that?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I rather think that you have got that wrong.
I think so too because I have seen several families trying to bring others here from the commonwealth and they are denied because they don't earn enough despite the people they want to bring are more than happy to work themselves.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

15-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Stop stirring Jan, the Dutch have nothing to be proud of.
Ray, I was reacting to Julie's statement that the UK have maltreated the commonwealth partners, and her subsequent line on white EU citizens and black cousins from the commonwealth. For me that smacked of a colonial attitude condescending on poor blacks.

Yes, the dutch have a colonial past, not te be proud of. But I do not believe in guilt of subsequent generations passed on from historic past.
The fact that the dutch have seriously misbehaved in their colonies does not deter me from critising statements that I perceive as based on racist attitude.

Page 48 of 66 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top