Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Could It Happen Here Too?

Well, so much for harmony in Europe!!.

I understand the main protests are against the fuel rise, but other factors are also involved.
The removal of Emmanuel Macron being one of the main ones. The French-Algiers war is another according to some of the protestors arrested, and the fact that France has lost over £644m revenue from tourists since the Paris attacks.

Hard to believe the Champs-Elysees is on lockdown, with the glittering Christmas lights overlooking boarded up shops and rows of riot police manning barricades and water cannons. Even as the BBC was commenting, they said that the protestors had it in for anyone connected to the French Media. (I bet that BBC sign was large and noticeable!!)

I wonder if the same could happen in the UK? There appears to be a great deal of unhappiness in many European countries.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:44 AM

Re: Could It Happen Here Too?

A French couple of males speaking on the news a few days ago repeated virtually everything the people of this country have been complaining about for years. Going to work and only able to afford to pay bills if lucky, can't afford to have any life, and after 30 yrs of it they have got fed up. Fuel prices rising is making it too expensive for them to get to work.

Well. we've seen all this here, and we knew it wasn't only the UK. Not wanting to mention the Brexit word again, I might just have to, as it was that reason amongst others that I founded my vote on.

Now you ask if the same can happen here.... I believe it will if we get a rotten deal to leave the EU on, or if there is another referendum . There are large numbers of people at almost boiling point right now, and to read comments in general on various social media sites, I feel an uprising is not too far away if things continue. It only takes a few stokers to get the flames going !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 01:01 AM

I don't think people care enough about how we leave the EU to protest. What people will care about is if prices go through the roof or taxes are hiked up or benefits removed. Then we will see a repeat of the sort of protests we had a few years ago when shops were being smashed and looted and burned. People don't care about the ECJ or fishing, they care about having no money and not being able to eat.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
A French couple of males speaking on the news a few days ago repeated virtually everything the people of this country have been complaining about for years. Going to work and only able to afford to pay bills if lucky, can't afford to have any life, and after 30 yrs of it they have got fed up. Fuel prices rising is making it too expensive for them to get to work.

Well. we've seen all this here, and we knew it wasn't only the UK. Not wanting to mention the Brexit word again, I might just have to, as it was that reason amongst others that I founded my vote on.

Now you ask if the same can happen here.... I believe it will if we get a rotten deal to leave the EU on, or if there is another referendum . There are large numbers of people at almost boiling point right now, and to read comments in general on various social media sites, I feel an uprising is not too far away if things continue. It only takes a few stokers to get the flames going !

Well, you have to give it to the french, belgians and dutch. They blame their own governments first. Perhaps they will blame the EU later on, but there is no sign of that yet.
The brits first blamed the EU, and are now blaming their government for their misery.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well, so much for harmony in Europe!!.

I understand the main protests are against the fuel rise, but other factors are also involved.
The removal of Emmanuel Macron being one of the main ones. The French-Algiers war is another according to some of the protestors arrested, and the fact that France has lost over £644m revenue from tourists since the Paris attacks.

Hard to believe the Champs-Elysees is on lockdown, with the glittering Christmas lights overlooking boarded up shops and rows of riot police manning barricades and water cannons. Even as the BBC was commenting, they said that the protestors had it in for anyone connected to the French Media. (I bet that BBC sign was large and noticeable!!)

I wonder if the same could happen in the UK? There appears to be a great deal of unhappiness in many European countries.

Haven't you already had riots fairly regularly in the UK? I vaguely remember reading recently that they occur every 10 years and that your next one is in 2021.

Poll tax riots, Bradford and Brixton riots spring to mind.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Haven't you already had riots fairly regularly in the UK? I vaguely remember reading recently that they occur every 10 years and that your next one is in 2021.

Poll tax riots, Bradford and Brixton riots spring to mind.
You forgot Toxteth, which f course was instigated by outsiders and also covered a very small area in one street . Not that anyone might have understood that from the media reports.

Solasch.... 2020 EU strategy was amongst other things, to eliminate poverty ! If you haven't lived with poverty, then don't come shouting us down on here, you have NO idea of how people are subjected to living with nothing. Just another failing of the unelected bureaucrats.

Annie, From what I can understand most of the now dissatisfied are calling for leaving on a no deal basis. They are engaged and very angry. They feel they have been dismissed as of no importance and a legally binding 'once in a lifetime' referendum (as Cameron called it)has been basically binned by those who won't fight for it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:22 AM

Hi

I would be a disaster if it did.

The cuts in funding mean there are not enough Police to control the situation and the NHS simply could not cope.

The only ones to suffer would be the ordinary people, those inadvertently caught up in out, their cars burnt out or damaged, businesses looted etc.

Nothing would change, the Politicians are so isolated from normal life.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:13 AM

As I understand it the riots are about the price of diesel fuel...I was interested enough to compare the price they pay with ours and guess what ours is marginally more expensive than theirs....maybe we are more tolerant?....not sure for how long though.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:24 AM

From yesterday's France 24 TV

https://www.france24.com/en/20181201...sts-over-taxes
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
As I understand it the riots are about the price of diesel fuel...I was interested enough to compare the price they pay with ours and guess what ours is marginally more expensive than theirs....maybe we are more tolerant?....not sure for how long though.
Yes the Brits are more tolerant and as a recent polled proved, a much happier, friendlier and peaceful place for people of African and West Indian descent to live...........Who would have guessed ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top