Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:19 AM

Stormy superstitions!

Following on from comments in other threads - and because we seem beset by storms at the moment - do you have any storm related superstitions, rituals etc.,? Is there truth in any of them?

My Irish Grandma used to turn all the mirrors to the wall so you could not be hit by reflected lightning, hide all the cutlery (annoying if you were having a meal at the time) and open windows at the front and back of her house - so thunder bolts could pass straight through!

My English Granny always turned the electricity off at the mains as she believed it attracted the lightning. She also believed that dry storms were more dangerous than rainy ones - as the rain 'earthed' the lightning.

My parents believed all of the above - plus unplugging TVs and Radios.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Re: Stormy superstitions!

Hi

None at all, I love electrical storms, the majesty of nature.

I can sit and watch for hours, the huge ones during the Monsoons are amazing

Guy and I even saw St Elmo's Fire once, really weird.

The only thing I don't do is fish during them, waving a few metres of carbon fibre around in a thunderstorm is just plain stupid.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 07:27 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...14&CMP=ema_632

you heard it first on OFF
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Yes I have heard of the mirrors one tabby, my gran used to close all the windows to prevent balls of fire raging through the house as she put it...oh and she said said storms turned the milk sour.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 09:08 AM

My mum used to unplug all the electrical goods. Also used to open front and back door , it worked because we were never hit by a bolt of thunder
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 09:18 AM

My Nan would make sure all the cutlery was put away and turn mirrors around.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My mum used to unplug all the electrical goods. Also used to open front and back door , it worked because we were never hit by a bolt of thunder
I can remember my Mum opening the doors to let the lighting out,it never did visit.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I can remember my Mum opening the doors to let the lighting out,it never did visit.
My grandmother often recounted the time a lightning bolt came down the chimney of her childhood home, they opened the backdoor to let it out.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My grandmother often recounted the time a lightning bolt came down the chimney of her childhood home, they opened the backdoor to let it out.
Scary !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Interesting.

There are accounts of ball lightning entering a house and leaving safely by a different exit.

The phenomenon is very rare and, consequently, has never been proven beyond doubt. Neither has it been proven scientifically as to its cause and exactly what it is.

Nevertheless, there are a number of believable accounts written by perfectly genuine people.

I'd very much like to experience it for myself one day, and also enjoy an exciting electrical storm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top