Join for free
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 01:12 PM

Oxtail braised in red wine

On the menu today is a traditional South African dish for Sunday lunch!

Click image for larger version

Name:	04A46AD3-3C04-4FC8-AB76-25EE596B82EF.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	14848

INGREDIENTS

One 750-ml bottle red wine (preferably a South African Pinotage)
8-10 medium oxtail pieces
1/4 cup unsalted butter
5 shallots
5 garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
2 medium leeks (white parts only)
1 medium onion
2 celery ribs
2 small fresh rosemary sprigs
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
2-3 bay leaves
3-4 whole cloves
1 bunch parsley stems
about 2 cups beef broth
Salt and pepper

Accompaniment: Roast potatoes, steamed green vegetables with brown rice and a generous serving of green salad.

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 200°
In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan boil wine until reduced by about half. Trim oxtails and pat dry. Season oxtails with salt and pepper. In a deep heavy ovenproof kettle just large enough to hold oxtails in one layer heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and brown half of oxtails on all sides, transferring to a bowl.
Brown remaining oxtails in 1 tablespoon butter in same manner and transfer to bowl.
Coarsely chop shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, onion, and celery. Add the vegetables and spices to pot and cook in 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
Arrange oxtails over vegetables and add reduced wine and enough broth to just cover oxtails.

Bring liquid to a boil and braise oxtails, covered, in middle of oven 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender but not falling off the bone. Reduce the gravy if necessary.

Serve oxtails and gravy with brown rice, green steamed vegetables, a green salad and roast potatoes. Enjoy

keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:39 AM

Re: Oxtail braised in red wine

You're a gem Minxy. You last one was excellent. (Still burping ! I'll try this'n also.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 10:54 AM

I used to cook oxtail a lot before I became an almost vegetarian .

I found it benefited from being cooked one day then left overnight in the fridge which allows the excess fat to settle on the top . It can then be lifted off in a solid piece.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
You're a gem Minxy. You last one was excellent. (Still burping ! I'll try this'n also.
Good luck Keezoy. You can also try adding 1/2 cup cleaned and washed brown lentils before you put the beef oxtails into the oven. It’s delicious
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

01-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I used to cook oxtail a lot before I became an almost vegetarian .

I found it benefited from being cooked one day then left overnight in the fridge which allows the excess fat to settle on the top . It can then be lifted off in a solid piece.
Thanks for that handy hint Meg. I’m always looking for an healthier option

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top