Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Re: Global warming?

When I was a child in '76 I used to dream of becoming an astronaut. But now I know I'd hate to live somewhere else. Nothing could compare to Earth. Surely we live on the best planet and if leaving was a reality it would be heartbreaking.

I'm sad about what's happening to our world too LQ but maybe it's not ours. Perhaps we are just temporary residents. Given the amount of suffering from this latest natural disaster maybe it's not about us at all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
To be fair, I think most of the wildfires are started by humans either deliberately or by a discarded cigarette.

I'm inclined to agree with that.
It was reported during the heath fires up north recently, that a couple of people were seen deliberately starting more fires - unbelievable isn't it.

I am pretty worried this after hearing the forecast tonight though, as they are saying it will get even hotter by Friday.
They were talking about 34 - 35 degs. then.

I am going to struggle with that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
When I was a child in '76 I used to dream of becoming an astronaut. But now I know I'd hate to live somewhere else. Nothing could compare to Earth. Surely we live on the best planet and if leaving was a reality it would be heartbreaking.

I'm sad about what's happening to our world too LQ but maybe it's not ours. Perhaps we are just temporary residents. Given the amount of suffering from this latest natural disaster maybe it's not about us at all.

But how do we know, Annie? We have no knowledge of living elsewhere to compare.

I reckon over many, many generations, we would learn to adapt to our new habitat, same as the animals have evolved to survive in certain habitats.

I doubt we would survive somewhere else very long as we are at present, as we were designed to live on this planet, with this air and this habitat.

Over time, the weakest would die but the ones who survive would go on to breed and each generation would become stronger and more used to the changes.

Same principal as farmers, gardeners, doctors and vets who use chemicals on insect or parasitic life. The strongest survive the sprays and go on to breed young who are immune to the very circumstances that would have killed off their ancestors.

This is true, and that is why many antibiotics and animal medicines no longer work. The bugs have built immunity.
We would eventually have generations born that could withstand a planet vastly different to our own. Food for thought?

Well I had a good ramble there, and it makes sense to me even if it doesn't to anyone else.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Because as Dorothy said "there's no place like home"....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I reckon over many, many generations, we would learn to adapt to our new habitat, same as the animals have evolved to survive in certain habitats.

I doubt we would survive somewhere else very long as we are at present, as we were designed to live on this planet, with this air and this habitat.

Over time, the weakest would die but the ones who survive would go on to breed and each generation would become stronger and more used to the changes.

Same principal as farmers, gardeners, doctors and vets who use chemicals on insect or parasitic life. The strongest survive the sprays and go on to breed young who are immune to the very circumstances that would have killed off their ancestors.

This is true, and that is why many antibiotics and animal medicines no longer work. The bugs have built immunity.
We would eventually have generations born that could withstand a planet vastly different to our own. Food for thought?

Well I had a good ramble there, and it makes sense to me even if it doesn't to anyone else.
Little did I know that my thread would lead to the creation of a potential dystopian futuristic fantasy....! Some think that we ended up here after we ruined our original home planet. Sometimes I wonder if they are right.

Of course one scenario is that humankind doesn't survive.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Global warming or climate change?

It's cyclical isn't it?
Didn't the Thames used to regularly freeze over in the 16th century?

I could go for mankind perhaps exacerbating something that is a natural phenomena though, even if not directly attributable to mankind.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Going back for a mo, to the raging moorland fires we have had recently, I feel more than a little edgy now the schools have broken up for the summer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:06 AM

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
i think we need to see a few more hot summers before we can blame global warming. It will probably rain for the next 25 years when this one is over.

i think the most worrying part is how quickly this country falls a part when there is a change in weather.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
i'm on the fence tbh annie.
On one hand for example they bang on about co2, but now co2 has been adopted (by some) as an environmentally friendly refrigerant (compared to the gwp of others). Some supermarkets have gone over to it for example.

i'm more inclined to think it's a natural phase the planet is going through.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top