Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 09:22 PM

Canada-style deal

There has been a lot of talk about the 'benefits' of our agreeing to a 'Canada-style' deal.

I asked on another thread if anyone can explain to me, in simple terms, all the pros and cons of our accepting a Canada-style deal.

The one person who did respond claimed to know the details, but was unwilling (or unable?) to offer an answer.

I wonder whether anyone here really does know?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:12 PM

Re: Canada-style deal

Near customs free trade, no tariffs on most goods after 7 years. But there are exceptions if you do not satisfy health and safety so certain goods would be blocked. But there's no payment or ECJ. So from a Brexit POV it's heaven on a stick.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:14 PM

Apparently it took seven years to negotiate. I thought it was nine. But they are still bottoming out details on some goods and there's no financial passport.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Near customs free trade, no tariffs on most goods after 7 years. But there are exceptions if you do not satisfy health and safety so certain goods would be blocked. But there's no payment or ECJ. So from a Brexit POV it's heaven on a stick.
Thank you, Annie.

No tariffs on most goods after 7 years.

Presumably 'most goods' could be disadvantageous to us, depending what the goods are. Then there is the matter of 'services' which, I understand, is one of our most important exports.

I understand that it took seven years to agree the Canada deal and, moreover, there are still some details to be ironed out. Does it mean that if we agreed to such a deal we would continue paying handsomely into the EU coffers for such a length of time?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Apparently it took seven years to negotiate. I thought it was nine. But they are still bottoming out details on some goods and there's no financial passport.
No 'financial passport' may be disadvantageous for us, though I'm afraid I don't understand all the consequences of this.

One unanswered question that occurs to me is, if we agreed to a Canada-style deal, would we be obliged to continue to allow free access of EU citizens? To me, that would be a definite deal breaker.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 10:34 PM

Hi

No more EU Payments, no more free Movement.

It is a standard WTO Trade Deal with a few bells and whistles.

WTO Rules do not include services, which are 80% of our exports to the EU.

A Canada Deal would protect manufacturing jobs.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Presumably the "augmented" Canada model includes a financial passport?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Does it mean that if we agreed to such a deal we would continue paying handsomely into the EU coffers for such a length of time?
Yes if we want to protect business as usual. Think of it as an invest to save.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No more EU Payments, no more free Movement.

It is a standard WTO Trade Deal with a few bells and whistles.

WTO Rules do not include services, which are 80% of our exports to the EU.

A Canada Deal would protect manufacturing jobs.
That would certainly be acceptable, although I assume we would continue to pay the EU and accept free movement for the (possible) seven years time it would take to set up the deal?

That would be unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Add to that the situation where services would not be part of the free-trade deal (I am assuming), then a Canada deal would not be to our advantage at all.

I'd rather walk away, trade under WTO rules and make the best of it. I am confident that non-EU countries (and quite possibly some EU countries) would wish to trade with us on a mutually beneficial basis.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-09-2018, 11:06 PM

I thought EU countries could not trade separately from the EU? our non EU trade deals are via the EU. That's why Lagarde said we have 63 trade agreements to sort by 31st march.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top