Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 02:42 AM

Re: And will those feet

Hi

We are going to have to change our systems to get people back into work.

A major upheaval which is not going to be popular, easy or quick to fix.

We need to abolish Tuition Fees for skills shortages, nursing, engineering etc, reintroduce proper Apprenticeships with a job at the end.

The Education system needs changing, more emphasis on practical skills.

Most importantly we need to get away from our current ways of thinking where electricians, mechanics , plumbers are undervalued and underpaid compared to lawyers, estate agents etc.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 05:48 AM

"Spread across Britain today are people and places united by a common condition: they are largely powerless. Their economies have been emptied out, their services cut to the bone, their incomes under threat. The market discards them; the media ignores them; the state disregards them.

If the UK is to hold together as a country – which must now be an open question – the only way it will do so is by enabling people and places to exercise power by and for themselves. That belief lies behind the series I have been writing here for the past nine months. In the Alternatives, I have sought to explore what that democratic, decentralised economy might look like, by reporting the ways people are already doing economics differently.".

From https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ects-austerity

Well worth a read.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
"Spread across Britain today are people and places united by a common condition: they are largely powerless. Their economies have been emptied out, their services cut to the bone, their incomes under threat. The market discards them; the media ignores them; the state disregards them.

If the UK is to hold together as a country – which must now be an open question – the only way it will do so is by enabling people and places to exercise power by and for themselves. That belief lies behind the series I have been writing here for the past nine months. In the Alternatives, I have sought to explore what that democratic, decentralised economy might look like, by reporting the ways people are already doing economics differently.".

From https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ects-austerity

Well worth a read.
interesting read fogey - very interesting - being now an 'outsider' it's great to see the new UK developing without the London highflyers!

is the cited article by you or are you referring to a thread you are running here?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 02:14 PM

watching agatha christies miss marple mysteries - nothing seems to have changed much over there surely?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We need to abolish Tuition Fees for skills shortages, nursing, engineering etc, reintroduce proper Apprenticeships with a job at the end.

Most importantly we need to get away from our current ways of thinking where electricians, mechanics , plumbers are undervalued and underpaid compared to lawyers, estate agents etc.
Which is what Secondary Moderns did before they were done away with. I was taught the necessary skills and when I started my job as an apprentice electrician it was expected that the other lads and me knew how, and could make some of our own tools which we all did.

The biggest killing off of sparkies and plumbers is the rise of DIY outlets. Why bother getting a skilled person in to do the job correctly and safely when some think they can tackle the job themselves? I've been to sort out dozens of DIY electrical disasters in my time, it's a wonder some of the DIYers haven't been killed or set fire to their homes. I still see them in places like B&Q discussing what type of cable to use for a job based on the price of the cable rather than its suitability.

Myself and other tradesmen of my generation are the last of a dying breed, there's very few proper up and coming jobbing electricians/plumbers to take our place.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 02:57 PM

On the whole I think the migrant workers worked much harder than the Brits in similar jobs. Without those people Britain will be in a mess.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
interesting read fogey - very interesting - being now an 'outsider' it's great to see the new UK developing without the London highflyers!

is the cited article by you or are you referring to a thread you are running here?
Neither.

It's an article from The Guardian newspaper which seemed to fit the questions, arguments and observations in this thread.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 11:17 AM

The bit I don't understand is, if we believe the official government statistics, we are approaching full employment in this country. If we run down the numbers of immigrant workers, who will fill the gaps so created? Most people are already in employment.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Drastically reduce university courses, especially the trendy new ones that have absolutely no benefit to anyone: media studies, gender studies, etc.

Degree courses that lead to needed practical skills and abilities should be supported by government grants, as they used to be before BLiar.

The plethora of 'new universities' should revert to their earlier identity of technical colleges, and these should concentrate entirely on training practical skills as they once did.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
On the whole I think the migrant workers worked much harder than the Brits in similar jobs. Without those people Britain will be in a mess.
They also worked for a lot less which although is good for the customer, it killed off some small businesses and self employed.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top