Join for free
Gringo
New Member!
Essex, UK
Gringo is male 

12-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Can you speak pilates?

It's often said that one needs to go to a class initially to learn Pilates, as it can be confusing. I started with a class, which I still enjoy, but seriously doubt I've got the whole idea. I later bought one of the mainstream books, which goes into some detail, but has lots of esoteric phrases. For example 'breath out, zip up, and hollow', 'soften your breastbone', 'open the lower back', and many more. I'm frustrated. The class tutor learned in the same environment.
I can't afford one to one tuition, and would like to know if anything else has similar benefits for the not so young.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Re: Can you speak pilates?

Hello Gringo there are lots of Videos on Youtube that will talk you through speaking pilates.

I am using Youtube as a start to learning Yoga which I prefer to Pilates. Once I have the basics I will join a class.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Keeping out of my wifes way gives me plenty of exercise.
Gringo
New Member!
Essex, UK
Gringo is male 

13-03-2019, 12:58 AM

Hello Meg,
Thank you for your reply. I wish you well with your Yoga. I hadn't thought of performing a search to clarify things. However I find only a few sites or videos explaining the stranger side of the terminology. Although fairly clear, these seem specific to the tutor owning the individual sites. My class tutor's page does not have explanations. I fear a plague of buzzwords.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gringo ->
Hello Meg,
Thank you for your reply. I wish you well with your Yoga. I hadn't thought of performing a search to clarify things. However I find only a few sites or videos explaining the stranger side of the terminology. Although fairly clear, these seem specific to the tutor owning the individual sites. My class tutor's page does not have explanations. I fear a plague of buzzwords.

Gringo, I suspect you are correct, and different tutors use different ways of explaing, and have their own methods.

Like Meg, I too do Yoga, and have done for about the last 8 or 9 years.
I used to go three times a week, but now only go twice, and do bits at home myself on the other days.

Getting back to what we were saying about methods - I know little about Pilates, but I do know with Yoga that different teachers show you different things.

I personally learned with the Hindu people, it is their culture, they grow up doing it from childhood, and often into old age still.
The English tutors teach very different to the Indian people, and each English tutor teaches a little different to each other.

So all I can suggest is explore. Not all classes and tutors are the same by a long chalk. Keep looking until you find one that 'feels right' for you, one you feel happy and comfortable with, and get away from the gimmicky, trendy ones.
Good luck.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 03:26 AM

I learned Pilates with a Balance Ball through DVD’s and I loved it.
Now I do yoga also and won’t ever go back.
Good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Hello Meg,
Hi Gringo there are 1000s of Youtube videos demonstrating pilates it is just a matter of looking through them to find something to suit you. There are also some great apps a few require a small subscription for higher levels.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yo...w=1707&bih=803

I have found a number Yoga videos and apps that suit my requirements one even has the ability to change the voice on the commentary.
I am following the recommendations of a study which has found Yoga and other lifestyle changes can help to minimise the effects of my heart condition . So I was looking for Yoga videos that contain simple positions and breathing techniques without all the spiritual content. I am amazed how much effect they have had on me after just a few days, I now 'hear' the calm voice of the tutor telling me how to stand when I am in a queue or waiting for the kettle to boil.
I just need to get a bit more proficient before I join a class.

Unfortunately, I have been diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency which had caused aching and a loss of mobility so I can only do so much at the moment.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:19 PM

...has lots of esoteric phrases. For example 'breath out, zip up, and hollow', 'soften your breastbone', 'open the lower back', and many more.
I'd just burst out laughing at the pretentiousness of the jargon and wave bye-bye for good.
Gringo
New Member!
Essex, UK
Gringo is male 

13-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Hi Tachyon, I think I like your reply best.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top