Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Apple's iPhone 11 Pro 'triggering' fear of holes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49660765

People with a fear of small holes have claimed the design of Apple's iPhone 11 Pro is triggering their phobia.

At its unveiling on Tuesday, many found their attention drawn to its "ultra-wide" rear camera, with three high-powered lenses packed closely together.

The lenses sit alongside the handset's torch and "audio zoom" microphone.

And hundreds of smartphone users now claim the new design has triggered their "trypophobia", an aversion to the sight of clusters of small holes.

Vision scientist Dr Geoff Cole, at the University of Essex, was part of the first full scientific study of trypophobia, working with his colleague, Prof Arnold Wilkins.

"We have all got it, it's just a matter of degree," Dr Cole told BBC News earlier this year.

The response to seeing small holes can be very extreme, their study suggests.

Dr Cole and Prof Wilkins reported testimonies from some people who vomited and others who said they could not go to work for several days.

"It can be quite disabling," Prof Wilkins added.
Trypophobia will, presumably, be one of those phobias which elicit disbelief and amusement from everyone except those who suffer from the aversion.

I'd never heard of it but, having met people with (seemingly) irrational fears, I'm quite prepared to believe that the effects of the phobia may be extremely distressing .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Re: Apple's iPhone 11 Pro 'triggering' fear of holes

I'd be more concerned about paying nigh on a thousand pounds for something that is technically only a minor upgrade having a new camera and slightly extended battery time. No doubt the fanbois wi' more brass na wit will be camping outside retail shops hoping to get one.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:59 PM

Then those with trypophobia should stay away from them.
How hard would that be?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 06:51 PM

I wonder how long it will be before someone buys an iPhone, suffers from this 'trypophobia' problem and then sues Apple for the distress caused?

All my devices are Apple Macs – MacBook Pro laptop, 27" iMac desktop and an iPhone but there is no way would I pay £1,000+ for a mobile phone. Prices have become stupid but as long as there are those willing to queue on the launch day to be one of the first to buy, there is a market. I look at it now that means there's always one-year old iPhones for sale far cheaper than a new one. My iPhone is around six or seven years' old now, it is still supported by Apple and works trouble-free.

I find it useful that they can all be linked, plus many years' ago I was in an industry that used Macs. That was it, there were no Windows PCs that would run the software we used.

Some of you may recall that I have said on here I would never use Microsoft. That is simply due to how many problems there appear to be with updates that just fill the hard drives, nothing else at all.

Apple also have occasional updates, most of them for security reasons but without the problems that seem to be as a result of Windows users being used as guinea pigs rather than Microsoft getting the software right initially.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top