Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Boy with skin-peeling condition is sent 18,000 birthday cards

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health...nt-18000-cards (video - may upset some viewers)

Rhys Williams, from Bolton, has epidermolysis bullosa, a painful, life-limiting condition that has left him unable to walk.

As he turns 14, his mother has made an appeal for people to send him birthday cards to help improve his mood.

He has received 18,000, which he says has made him feel "a lot better".
Rhys suffers severe pain all day, every day - a condition we can't imagine .....

When I worked for DWP on DLA/AA at Warbreck, in Blackpool, I was seconded to the extreme cases section, where one of my cases was a young child with just such a condition - the details of the case were so distressing that I terminated my secondment as soon as possible .....

I'm glad that 18,000 people took the time to think about him .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:05 PM

Re: Boy with skin-peeling condition is sent 18,000 birthday cards

I just cannot imagine the pain that poor lad has been through every day of his life

Life can be so cruel for some, it makes you sit back and think how fortunate many of us are with our health.

I'm so pleased those 18,000 birthday cards sent to him by those thoughtful people have been a comfort to him.

Brave boy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I just cannot imagine the pain that poor lad has been through every day of his life

Life can be so cruel for some, it makes you sit back and think how fortunate many of us are with our health.

I'm so pleased those 18,000 birthday cards sent to him by those thoughtful people have been a comfort to him.

Brave boy.
I agree Mags, we do tend to moan about unimportant things don't we. I feel so sorry for him but pleased that he knows that some people really do care.
Lorna Doone
New Member!
England
Lorna Doone is female 

20-09-2019, 10:16 PM

I watched a documentary back in 2003/4 about Jonny Kennedy who suffered the same condition. It left a lasting impression on my mind, such an unbearably cruel illness during which Jonny did what he could to raise awareness and money. If my memory serves me right, he died in his wheelchair on a train back from London, where he received recognition for his efforts.

Really one of the most tragic programmes ever. Well done to all the people who sent the cards to this little boy,this world is just tooo cruel for some.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 03:01 AM

Makes you feel very lucky. Makes you look at your own life and think about how little you really have to whinge about. Kids are amazing the way they handle serious illness and pain. They are an inspiration. Go the boy!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top