Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

I was in Asda recently and l saw they had three garlic bulbs for 50p. I thought it a good price and picked a pack up to purchase. I then saw the label where it stated it was grown in China.
I don’t know why but l just couldn’t buy it, as China wasn’t a country l associated with garlic.

I was probably being very picky but have you ever purchased garlic grown in China?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

... I would if it tastes good.

wiki says ...

As of 2016, China was the largest producer of garlic in the world, producing 80% of the global supply. Most of China's garlic is produced in Shandong, an eastern coastal province, located to the southeast of Beijing; in particular, Jinxiang is known as "the world's garlic capital".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I was in Asda recently and l saw they had three garlic bulbs for 50p. I thought it a good price and picked a pack up to purchase. I then saw the label where it stated it was grown in China.
I don’t know why but l just couldn’t buy it, as China wasn’t a country l associated with garlic.

I was probably being very picky but have you ever purchased garlic grown in China?
You've got to ask yourself Why are we shipping foodstuffs half way around the world when we can grow our own.....Madness....

You did right not to buy it Arty, but maybe for the wrong reasons...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:31 AM

No - I would not. I buy local produce as much as possible - or, at least, it has to be produced in the UK.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:42 AM

I do grow my own garlic but they are about the size of a marble so l have given up!

I did google garlic grown in China and read that they bleach the garlic and they contain toxins.

I’m not sure why l just associate garlic with France and Italy? China just didn’t seem to fit the bill.

Quote....

In the US, it's become cheaper and easier to import garlic from places like China. Unfortunately, China isn't as stringent with its safety regulations. Reports run rampant of garlic bleached in chlorine, fumigated in pesticides, grown in untreated sewage water, and even contaminated with lead.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:45 AM

No. Garlic grown right here is more than good enough for me. I echo those previous words. Support local produce.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 11:07 AM

I do grow my own garlic but they are about the size of a marble so l have given up!

I did google garlic grown in China and read that they bleach the garlic and they contain toxins.

I’m not sure why l just associate garlic with France and Italy? China just didn’t seem to fit the bill.

Quote....

In the US, it's become cheaper and easier to import garlic from places like China. Unfortunately, China isn't as stringent with its safety regulations. Reports run rampant of garlic bleached in chlorine, fumigated in pesticides, grown in untreated sewage water, and even contaminated with lead.
That magic word again Arty....In most peoples minds around here it's all down to the price.....That word (cheaper) has done more damage to the economy and the environment if truth be known....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
No. Garlic grown right here is more than good enough for me. I echo those previous words. Support local produce.
Good on yer keezoy and Tabby....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote....

This makes me cross.
What is the point of us having safety regs if we buy in from somewhere that hasn't?

We shouldn't be importing things we can easily grow in this country in the first place.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This makes me cross.
What is the point of us having safety regs if we buy in from somewhere that hasn't?

We shouldn't be importing things we can easily grow in this country in the first place.
Yep....Nice one Mups...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top