Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Re: Home Airfreshener's

The only kind air freshener I can live with is open windows.

But it sounds like you've got a serious damp problem there Galloway2019. Perhaps you should investigate that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 09:18 PM

I'm with Mups and d00d on this....I hate air fresheners and believe they are very hazardous to health. Fresh air is just an open window away......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I use an electric diffuser,they neutralise the smells,the essential oil isn't over powering either...they are expensive ,but well worth it.

At the moment I am using Lime essential oil,you put the water in first,then you add around 8drops of the oil.leaves the room feeling beautifully refreshed.

Again the oils can be expensive.

Pauline, I occasionally use essential oils in an oil burner Pauline. One of those you put water in the dish at the top, then add a few drops of the oil of your choice, before lighting the little tea light underneath.

But you've got to know which oil are safe under different conditions.
For example, some are not advised for pregnant women, others are not safe around cats, dogs and pet birds.

The trouble is, most people just buy something because they like the smell, or the lady in the shop says it's nice, or maybe because it's reduced in price even, without really thinking any further than that.

Here is a short list of some that are NOT advised for pets:

Essential Oils To Avoid Around Dogs

To be the best human that you can be for your pet, please absolutely avoid diffusing the following oils around your canine friend:

Citrus oils such as lemon, orange, or tangerine
Tea tree
Ylang ylang
Cinnamon
Pennyroyal
Pine
Sweet Birch
Wintergreen

Likewise, these ones are considered SAFE:

Lavender:
Chamomile
Thyme:
Spearmint:
Peppermint:
Cardamom:
Cedar:
Lemongrass:
Eucalyptus:.
Frankincense:
Clary Sage:
Cardamom:

Baz, I am glad your friend loves her dogs, but she may be completely unaware of the effects some products can have on her beloved animals. I have no idea what she knows.

All I do know is, a healthy ear does not smell, but that is another problem which I assume her vet is dealing with.
Poor dogs. It must be very uncomfortable for them.

May I ask what breed they are?

Dood & Foxy - I agree about the fresh air.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 10:01 PM

Thanks Mups, are the lists same for cats?...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Mups, are the lists same for cats?...

I'll check for you, Foxy. . . . . . half a mo . .

Here you go, this is from the PDSA:

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-...essential-oils
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 11:56 PM

I very rarely use reed diffusers as I've decided that all these chemicals aren't good for you. I do like putting some essential peppermint oil into water in an oil burner though. It seems expensive but you only use a couple of drops. You just have to be careful not to leave it unattended. I always put it on the mantelpiece. You probably get a similar effect just putting a drop of essential oil into some warm water in a bowl without the candle. I must try that sometime.

The best way to make a home smell good is to keep it clean and aired. We have wooden floors downstairs and partly upstairs and I like method almond scented floor cleaner (which is non toxic). Although usually it's steam cleaned by the cleaner once a fortnight along with the kitchen and bathroom floors. Carpets tend to harbour pongs whether you have pets or not. If it were up to just me there would be no carpets at all. I loathe them.

However, if you have damp (which you indicate is the case) then you won't get rid of any stale smell without getting shot of the damp itself. Everything smells musty no matter what you do. You can clean the blackspot with bleach spray and then paint over with a damp proofing paint over the areas it appears, but it will come back if there is a problem. If painting over doesn't get rid of it then that means you need damp proofing. We had a spot near an old chimney breast that just kept discolouring no matter how many times it was painted. Got some builders in and they fixed all the gaps and pointing on the chimney and the problem was solved. There was another patch of black mould in the same room which was discovered when a piece of furniture was moved on decorating. I sorted that myself with bleach, damp proof paint and then more anti damp kitchen and bathroom paint. It didn't come back thank goodness. I think it was all linked to the chimney issue. So if it is the ceiling it could be that you have a leaky roof or pointing that needs fixing. Old properties can have various issues with chimneys that haven't been removed or sealed off properly. If you're on the ground floor then it will be a more serious problem and you need damp proofing and possibly expensive structural adjustments. I'm sure you know all this already so sorry to go on. It was a lot of work to get rid of the damp issues here so I'm still traumatised!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pauline, I occasionally use essential oils in an oil burner Pauline. One of those you put water in the dish at the top, then add a few drops of the oil of your choice, before lighting the little tea light underneath.

But you've got to know which oil are safe under different conditions.
For example, some are not advised for pregnant women, others are not safe around cats, dogs and pet birds.

The trouble is, most people just buy something because they like the smell, or the lady in the shop says it's nice, or maybe because it's reduced in price even, without really thinking any further than that.

Here is a short list of some that are NOT advised for pets:

Essential Oils To Avoid Around Dogs

To be the best human that you can be for your pet, please absolutely avoid diffusing the following oils around your canine friend:

Citrus oils such as lemon, orange, or tangerine
Tea tree
Ylang ylang
Cinnamon
Pennyroyal
Pine
Sweet Birch
Wintergreen

Likewise, these ones are considered SAFE:

Lavender:
Chamomile
Thyme:
Spearmint:
Peppermint:
Cardamom:
Cedar:
Lemongrass:
Eucalyptus:.
Frankincense:
Clary Sage:
Cardamom:

Baz, I am glad your friend loves her dogs, but she may be completely unaware of the effects some products can have on her beloved animals. I have no idea what she knows.

All I do know is, a healthy ear does not smell, but that is another problem which I assume her vet is dealing with.

Dood & Foxy - I agree about the fresh air.

Yes,I know a bit about essential oils,Mups...that is why you add at least 100 ml of water into the diffuser,with at least 8 drops of oil.

A lady in question re: her children,who burnt cinnamon oil,she was burning the oil neat,all day long..no wonder the tiny tots woke up feeling nausea,followed by headaches.

My diffuser is on for around half an hour,..not every day..my dog bedding is washed every week...I can not stand dog smells in a house or car....when I say that,I don't mean the smell of a dog....I mean where some people don't wash their dog bedding in months...in some cases,yrs..yuck!.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 12:40 PM

I am allergic to most airborne (atomised) so called air fresheners and likewise to some of the usual disinfectants, but there is one that has minimal effect on by bronchial system and that is Zoflora. We use it when washing floors and hard surfaces in kitchen, both bathrooms & cloakroom.

As for household moulds, adequate ventilation should ensure any spores wont get a grip. It's damp surfaces that are an invitation for mould spores to get a foothold, so thoroughly dry baths and showers after use and don't forget to adequately ventilate either via extract fans or open windows. If mould does grow on hard non porous surface then a dilute hypochlorite bleach solution will kill and clean.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
– Snip –

Mups – they are Basset Hounds, a breed well-known for ear problems. These are the fourth ones she's had and all have been very well looked after, with the help of a good vet. They are happy dogs, the problem is managed on a daily basis as and when it occurs, the effect on them is as minimal as is possible. One has ear problems, the other one does not. I doubt there's very much she doesn't know about problems with them after 20 years continuous ownership of the breed.

It's the breed's long ears that often causes the problems. Also the genetics and breeding, something like hip dysplasia in German Shepherds, which you will probably know about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Mups – they are Basset Hounds, a breed well-known for ear problems. These are the fourth ones she's had and all have been very well looked after, with the help of a good vet. They are happy dogs, the problem is managed on a daily basis as and when it occurs, the effect on them is as minimal as is possible. One has ear problems, the other one does not. I doubt there's very much she doesn't know about problems with them after 20 years continuous ownership of the breed.

It's the breed's long ears that often causes the problems. Also the genetics and breeding, something like hip dysplasia in German Shepherds, which you will probably know about.

Ah, I understand now you have said the breed, Baz.
Such a shame.

More problems caused by the way humans have bred for looks, instead of health.
Many Cockers with the exaggerated long ears get problems too.

Yes, I know what you mean about the GSD's. Damn shame.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top