Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Re: home improvements question

Waiting for the house to be mine, and empty, to see what needs doing/money spent on. I do know it will need a satellite dish and cables fitted, and maybe new aerial sockets in other rooms
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:57 AM

Realspeed, that's quite a list of accomplishments. Having just lost my dad and dealing with my parents' too-large home, there's an important point to be made in that list and in all your hard work.

Because my dad was incredibly handy, they maintained their home themselves for over 40 years. The problem was that my dad finally fell into slow decline, the house declined along with him and he was unable to see that the house was getting to be too much. He meant well and worked on projects right down to two days before he died, but he left us will a substantial To Do list to ensure the house was in good repair for my mom.

I sure don't want to have to deal with a major health crisis or the death of my spouse (or vice versa) along with the added stressors of having to deal with significant repair issues, so we will downsize and get the place ship shape in the next few years.

You've done well, and just as importantly, it sounds like you did not spend so much on your home that you couldn't afford to keep up with it. There's probably a good lesson in that too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:38 AM

Surfermom

we had sold our business and staying with Sis-in-law and our furniture in storage. At the time houses were selling faster than they went on the market,a real crazy time. The price we wanted to buy in at the houses were sold before we even viewed, or they were in such a bad state not worth considering. Even on the way to view one while in the car the agent rang to say it had just been sold. so we turned around and went back.

This one went on the market about 2 days before I spotted it on the internet. More than we wanted to pay but we needed somewhere to live. I rang the agent to say we were very interested and we would be there in a couple of hours, as we were living about 120 miles away or so at the time.

We raced down to view and the agent was waiting outside so we looked and said yes as cash buyers, we did make an offer that was refused. So upped to the asking price on condition it was taken off the market there and then. Which he did thank goodness.

We had to obviously make a quick decision and i wasn't going to let this one slip through our fingers, so to speak. I could already see the potential in it. This was our 5th home so knew how to get things done quickly . Had too as well as furniture storage was costing quite a bit.

Generally the rule is to make a nuisance of yourself politely so much with solicitors (lawyers over there) so that can get rid of you as soon as possible.

Seems already 2 couples had viewed and "ummed and arred " if to buy or not and more going to view the next weekend in 2/3 days time. So we grabbed it damn quick. The stupid bugger selling it went and asked a neighbour if he should sell to a cash buyer, the neighbour said he was mad if he didn't when it was a cash offer for over £400,000 .

Then he wanted us to wait 8 weeks while he found somewhere, that was not on, already said storage cost were rising. As soon as the legal stuff was done we were going to move in, took about 2 weeks as I pushed our solicitor at least twice a day to find out how things were going, Knowing solicitors over here they will sit on this type of transaction for weeks. So the vendors had to get out like it or not.

So we got the house before anyone had a chance to come back with an offer to buy, and they more than likely would need a mortgage anyway.

No even though house prices have dropped slightly we still if selling now have made well over a six figure sum in 5 years, even with what we did in post number 1

It may sound a bit pushy but at the time if I wasn't we would have lost this house as well. But that is me, I wont be sodded about if I want something I will go all out to get it, embarrassed Sue a bit I think at the time but as you can see we got the house
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 06:38 AM

A long list of improvements RS but I bet you got real satisfaction doing it.....I love improving property...problem is once it's all done I lose interest and want to move on...bit of a gypsy I think.....you have a lovely home...enjoy
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:29 AM

It's not what you do it's the way that you do it, whoever follows us, and tries to change things will notice a couple of things, most structures can be disassembled without the use of a hammer because they have been thoughtfully screwed together (not nailed), and, where a footing needs to be a foot deep, it is two feet deep.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Your DIY should be able to let an unknown person to you, psychologically profile you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 11:27 PM

You have completely lost me now spitfire

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top